Alka Mittal is an Indian business executive who became the first woman to take charge as the interim chairman and managing director of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation on 4 January 2022.
Alka Mittal was born in 1963 (age 59 years; as of 2022) in New Delhi. She pursued an MA in Economics at DAV College, Dehradun, and a PhD in Business/Commerce, Corporate Governance at Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Husband & Children
The name of her husband is not known. They have two daughters, Neha Mittal, and Nupur Mittal.
An employee of Oil and Natural Gas Corporation
Alka Mittal started her career in ONGC as a trainee in 1985. Later, she worked in the position of chief skill development (CSD) of the company. In 2018, she became the first woman to be the full-time Director (HR) in ONGC. She served the position for more than three years. In 2022, she became the first female chairman and managing director of the Oil and Natural Gas Corporation, where she conducted online interviews and applications in the company under the Green Recruitment process. She made a scheme named ‘The National Apprenticeship Promotion Scheme’ (NAPS) in ONGC when she was the CSD that led to the training of 5,000 apprentices at different centres.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- In 2021, she received the Silver Stevie Award in the Woman of the Year category at the International Business Awards.
- In 2021, she received the Leadership of the Year Award at the Learning and Development Summit.
- In 2020, she won the Most Admired Leader Award by the Forum for Emotional Intelligence Learning.
- In 2020, she won the Sustainable HR Leadership Award at the 28th World HRD Conference.
- In 2019, she won the FICCI CSR Award for ONGC CSR projects.
- Mittal was appointed as the chairman and managing director of the ONGC after the interim head Subhash Kumar retired on December 31, 2021.
- Her profile on ONGC describes her as
In her capacity as chief skill development (CSD) she streamlined the activities and brought in uniformity in the working of the Skill Development Centres of ONGC.”
- Before Alka, in 2104, Nishi Vasudeva became the first woman to lead the oil company Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (HPCL).
- On being appointed as the chairman of ONGC, the company also tweeted about it.
#ONGC Director (HR) Dr @AlkaMit26713758 has been entrusted with additional charge of ONGC CMD, making her the first woman to head the #Energy major . @CMD_ONGC @PetroleumMin @HardeepSPuri @Rameswar_Teli pic.twitter.com/3yCJvkT2dT
— Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC) (@ONGC_) January 3, 2022
- In an interview, the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT) said,
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the proposal of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas for entrustment of additional charge of the post of Chairman and Managing Director (CMD), ONGC to Alka Mittal, Director (HR), ONGC for a period of six months with effect from January 1, 2022, or till the appointment of a regular incumbent to the post, or until further order, whichever is the earliest.”