Anusha Rao is an Indian filmmaker who is known for writing and directing a Telugu short film ‘Swarna’ that was screened in the New York Indian Film Festival (NYIFF) 2022 held from 7 May 2022 to 13 May 2022.
Anusha Rao Gunti was born in Hyderabad, Telangana. She pursued a Bachelor of Engineering at Osmania University, Hyderabad and an associate degree of Science in Film from 2016 to 2017 at Los Angeles Film School, California.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Anusha’s elder sister’s name is Archana Rao, who is a fashion designer. Her sister worked as a fashion designer for the film Mahanati which was a biopic of the actress Savitri. She has a younger brother, Anirudh Rao.
Husband & Children
Anusha married Rohit Bandaru on 20 June 2020.
Anusha started her career as a filmmaker in February 2011 when she joined the company 84ideas, Hyderabad as a marketing intern. She volunteered for TEDx in Hyderabad in August 2012. In October 2012, she was a volunteer for VOICE 4 Girls in Hyderabad. In 2014, she got a chance to work at Arka Media Works (P) Ltd, Hyderabad as a Marketing Strategist where she worked in the marketing and international distribution team for the film Baahubali: The Beginning (2015).
In 2018, she went to Los Angeles and worked as a writer and director on the film ‘Left Behind.’
She again joined Arka Mediaworks P Ltd in December 2018 and started working as a Script Supervisor. In 2020, she wrote a Telugu fictional story based on the life of a rapist’s family. It was a twenty-nine-minute film and was produced by filmmaker Venkatesh Maha. The film received recognition when it was screened as part of the New York Indian Film Festival (NYIFF) 2022 held from 7 May to 13 May. The actors in the film were not professionals. The shooting of the film took place in Nizamabad, where she faced difficulty with the rural Telangana dialect.
- Anusha follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- Her hobbies include travelling and watching movies.
- Anusha was born in a family where no one belonged to the film industry. In an interview, she said that she discovered filmmaking as a child when she watched films by Satyajit Ray, Shyam Benegal and Guru Dutt.
- She has command over English, Hindi and Telugu language.
- Anusha has a specialization in screenwriting and video editing and has learned various software like Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Photoshop, and Pro Tools.
- In 2018, she graduated from her university in Los Angeles and posted a picture on Instagram. In an interview, she talked about the knowledge she gained from her university and why she started working in India, she said,
Mainstream (international) movies have a way of depicting Mexicans and Black Americans… As I interacted with people, I felt we are all bound by a few commonalities. My experience in LA changed the way I think. I wanted to make films here; I think I write better when stories are rooted in Indian culture.”
- In an interview, she talked about her experience while shooting the film and said,
People in Nizamabad understood why we wanted silence on the sets. In the later portions of the film when the family discusses issues that have deeply affected them, there is a lot of silence. In the silence, we could even hear the sound of milk boiling in the house. Sound designer Nagarjun Thalapalli (who worked on Care of Kancharapalem among other films) was happy with the quality of sync sound we managed to get.”
- She is often spotted drinking alcoholic beverages on various occasions.
- She is a fitness enthusiast and often posts pictures on social media.
- She is a passionate animal lover and often posts pictures of them on social media.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings