Jasmeet Kaur Maan, known by her stage name, Barbie Maan, is an Indian singer who is prominently known for singing in the Punjabi music industry. She is popular for her song “Teri Gali” whose lyricist is Guru Randhawa. It garnered over 38 million views on YouTube. “Teri Gali” featured Indian actor and model Asim Riaz. In 2018, Barbie debuted as a singer with the song “Meriyan Saheliyan.”
Barbie Maan was born on Sunday, 29 September 1997 (age 24 years; as of 2022) in Firozpur, Punjab. Her zodiac sign is Libra. She did her schooling at HM DAV Public School. In graduation, she has done a Bachelor of Arts in English and music instruments. Since childhood, she had a hobby of singing but she never wanted to make her career in singing. She wanted to focus on her academics and pursue her education in medicine to become a doctor. It was her father who had a wish to see her daughter sing and make him proud. Before her father’s death, in his last words, he told her that she is growing up and that she should start taking music seriously.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Hair Colour: Black (dyed brown)
Eye Colour: Black
Barbie Maan belongs to a Sikh family from Ferozpur, Punjab.
Parents & Siblings
Her mother’s name is Manjit Mann. She has a brother whose name is Jupinder Maan. In 2010, her father passed away when Barbie was in 9th standard. Her father and grandfather had a business of manufacturing Harmonium since 1902.
After her father’s death, she decided to make his dream come true. She started actively participating in youth festivals and music competitions in school. She began to sing in small events. Later, she started posting her singing videos on Facebook in which she sang song covers and a few of them went viral. She started getting offers for singing from many Punjabi artists and music labels.
After debuting in 2018, she released her second song “Akhiyan” in 2019, which was written by Preet Hundal. She learned music from Preet Hundal, who is a Punjabi singer, music director, and lyricist. He is the one who produced music and wrote the lyrics to her debut song “Meriyan Saheliyan.” Later, she was signed by Gold Media Entertainment company.
In 2020, she releases multiple songs in which she worked with popular Punjabi artists including Guru Randhawa, Sidhu Moosewala, Prem Dhillon and more. The first song that she sang in 2020 was “Ajj Kal Ve,” which is a female version of the song from famous Punjabi singer and rapper Sidhu Moose Wala’s album “Snitches Get Stitches.” Her second song “Teri Gali” ranked 6th on both UK Asian Music Chart Top 40 and UK Official Punjabi Music Chart Top 20.
Her song “Liv In” with singer and lyricist Prem Dhillon has ranked on YouTube charts in many countries. This song of hers is with the most chart rankings. It ranked 30th on the UK Asian Music Chart and 15th on the YouTube chart in Canada.
On 12 March 2021, Barbie released her first song of the year titled “Viah” which has garnered over 20 million views on YouTube. Barbie is featured in the song “Moh” and she also appeared in the music video alongside Sidhu Moosewala. She is also a fan of Sidhu Moosewala’s work. In an interview, talking about the overall experience of working with him on the song, she said,
My team GOLD MEDIA has made this project possible with their vision and hard work. The whole team worked on the song wholeheartedly with Sidhu. He is indeed a great person and an artist to work with. I learnt so much from him.”
On 8 March 2022, she released her latest song “Revolver Wala” and has gained more than 7 million views on YouTube.
Promoting Gun Culture in Music Video
On 1 December 2020, the song “Jaan” by Barbie Maan featuring Shree Brar was released, which has gained over 16 million views on YouTube. Punjabi singer, lyricist, and composer Shree Brar was arrested. A case was filed against Shree Brar, Babie Maan and others who were in the video, under Section 294 (punishment for an obscene act in any public place) and 504 (Intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of the peace) for encouraging ‘gun culture’ in the song.
In the lyrics of the song, he is saying that he stays in contact with those criminals, who can scare the government. In the video, he is keeping police at gunpoint and ordering them to release the criminals.
- Female singer: Nimrat Khaira, Ariana Grande
- Male singer: Shawn Mendes
- Web series: Money Heist (2017), Stranger Things (2016), Dark (2017), Outlaw (2010), Friends (1994)
- K-Drama: Descendants of the Sun (2016)
- Hobby: Singing, Cooking
- In an Interview, Barbie shared that she always wanted to be a doctor or a teacher.
- She used to be the cutest and most loved kid in her house. Everyone called her Barbie affectionately that’s why she chose Barbie as her stage name.
- The genres in which she has sung are Bhangra, Punjabi, and pop.
- The first cover song done by her that went viral was “Taare” by Guru Randhawa.
- Barbie has 774k followers on Instagram and 37k followers on Facebook.
- Her dream is to do a collaboration with international singer and songwriter Ariana Grande.
- In an interview, when she was asked if she had to stay with any artist or celebrity during the lockdown, she would like to live with Shawn Mendes or Ariana Grande.
- Barbie doesn’t like to go out much and spend time with people. She likes to stay at home, enjoy her time with family and relax.
- Barbie is the first artist who has performed a song written by Guru Randhawa.
- Some of her hit Punjabi songs are “Suit” (2020), “Lambarghinii” featuring Mista Baaz (2021), “Hathkadiyan” featuring Sandeep Brar (2021), and “All White Nakhro” (2021). In the music video for “All White Nakhro,” Barbie portrayed the character of a bold and confident girl, which has a very different vibe from her other romantic songs.