Gamini Singla is an Indian woman who secured the 3rd AIR in the UPSC Civil Service Examinations 2021.
Gamini Singla was born in 1999 (age 23 years; as of 2022) in Anandpur Sahib, Punjab. She did her graduation in computer science engineering from Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh (2017 – 2021). Singla was always interested in participating in co-curricular activities during her college. According to Gamini, her hobby is participating in MUN, which is an activity that models the United Nations’ meetings and assemblies to teach children how to behave like delegates. She participated in various All India Political Party meets and was also named the Director-General of the PECMUN 6.0 in 2019.
Post completion of her engineering, Singla worked for a short period of approx. 6 months at JPMorgan Chase & Co. in 2018. In an interview, her teacher, Professor Rajesh Bhatia, revealed,
She was the class representative and she got a job offer during campus placements but she did not join because she wanted to pursue civil services”
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Alok Singla, is an MBBS, who works as an SMO in the H.P. Health Services. Her mother, Neeraj Singla is also a medical officer, who works for the Himachal Pradesh government.
Her brother, Tushar Singla, is an engineer and a graduate of IIT Kharagpur.
Gamini Singla belongs to the Baniya caste.
- According to Gamini, her name means someone who is always on the move.
- Her favourite sociological thinker is Émile Durkheim, who was a French Sociologist.
- It was her second attempt at the CSE in which she secured AIR 3. The top 3 rank holders of UPSC CSE 2021 were girls. In an interview, expressing her views on it, Gamini said,
This shows women are capable of achieving anything through their hard work and dedication”
- She opted for IAS as her first choice of duty and IPS as her second choice. In an interview, she stated,
I have opted for Indian Administrative Service IAS and would like to work for the development of the country and welfare of people”
- Upon being asked in an interview, Singla revealed that she admires the confidence and grit with which IPS officers like Kiran Bedi and Navjot Simmi perform their duties. She added that she considers both of these women her role models.
- Gamini opted for sociology as her optional subject.
- In an interview, she revealed that she self-studied for the exam by studying for around 9 – 10 hours a day. She said,
I used to study for 9-10 hours a day. I took coaching from Vinod sir in Patiala. Mostly I did self-study preparing for the examination, and finally I got through. My father played an important role in helping me prepare for the exam,”
- Singla gives credit for her success to her father who helped her in staying updated with current affairs by reading the newspaper to her every day. In an interview, she expressed,
My family, especially my father has helped me a lot emotionally and in studies as well, we used to discuss about studies and he knew what was important for me. That has been a great help for me,”
- In a mock interview to prepare for her final round of the CSE, she revealed that she does not know how to drive a vehicle.
- The faculty at PEC was extremely proud of Singla’s result. In an interview, Professor Sanjeev, who is a faculty member at the CSE Department of PEC, said,
Gamini was a very intelligent student. The department remembers her and we all were very confident that she will clear the exam. We are very proud of her.”