Madhabi Puri is an Indian banker who is known for being the first woman to be appointed as the chairperson of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) in 2022.
Madhabi Puri Buch was born on Tuesday, 12 January 1965 (age 56 years; as of 2021) in Mumbai. Her zodiac sign is Capricorn. She attended Fort Convent, Mumbai from 1971 to 1976 and Convent of Jesus and Mary, Delhi from 1976 to 1983. She pursued a Bachelor’s Degree at St. Stephen’s College, Delhi from 1983 to 1986. Later, she pursued a Master of Business Administration at the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad from 1986 to 1988.
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Madhabi’s father works in the corporate sector, and her mother works in academics. She has one sister.
Husband & Children
Madhabi got married to Dhaval Buch in 1986. He is the director at Hindustan Unilever Ltd. They have a son.
Madhabi started her career in 1989, as the Project Finance Analyst at ICICI Bank and worked there till 1992. In 1993, she left ICICI bank and worked as a lecturer at West Cheshire College, United Kingdom from 1993 to 1995. She joined ICICI bank in 2006 and served as the Executive Director there. She served various positions including the Head of Marketing and Sales, Head of Product Development, Head of Operations and the Head of Brand Marketing while working at ICICI bank. In 2016, she found the Singapore-based Agora Advisory Pvt. Ltd. Later, in 2016, she served as the Head of Business Development at Greater Pacific Capital in Singapore, and she also worked as a consultant for New Development Bank in Shanghai. Madhabi worked as a Whole-Time Member of Sebi from 2017 to 4 October 2021 before she became the chairperson of Sebi. She also worked as the non-executive director at Zensar Technologies, InnoVen Capital India Pvt. Ltd, Idea Cellular Ltd, Max Healthcare and Gabelhorn Investments Pte. Ltd.
Madhabi was listed among the top 25 most powerful women in Business by Business Today in 2008.
- In 2022, Madhabi was appointed as the chairperson of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) for three years.
- Madhabi was the first non-IAS to be appointed as the chairman of the SEBI.
- In an interview, she described herself and said that when she was studying in class twelfth, she used to wear big spectacles, and she was a bookworm.
- After completing her schooling, Madhabi applied to get herself enrolled at St Stephen’s College, Delhi for an economics course, but she could not attend the entrance interview as she suffered from jaundice. Later, she enrolled for a mathematics interview at the same college in which she appeared with a drip on one hand.
- According to Madhabi, she is inspired by the work of Walt Disney and Kiran Bedi.
- In an interview, she talked about the things she followed to become successful and said,
I have a very simple formula and I think that formula really works well everywhere: You just have to deliver. The organisation which you work for has an objective and you have to understand what that purpose is and what your organisation expects from you. And then you just have to go out there and deliver. It’s an unfailing formula. You deliver in one job and people who matter will notice it and praise you for it. And the next opportunity just arises. People are willing to take chance with you; they are willing to risk important assignments to you.”
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings