Manju Warrier is an Indian actress who majorly works in Malayalam films. She is known for playing the role of Devaprabha Varma in the Malayalam film ‘Thooval Kottaram’ (1996).
Manju Warrier was born on Sunday, 10 September 1978 (age 44 years; as of 2022) in Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu. Her zodiac sign is Virgo. Her hometown is Thrissur, Kerala. She did her schooling at three different schools, CSI Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Nagercoil, Chinmaya Vidyalaya, Kannur, and Chovva Higher Secondary School, Kannur. She attended Sree Narayana College, Kannur.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): 34-26-36
Parents & Siblings
Manju’s father’s name was T. V. Madhavan, who was an accountant. Her mother’s name is Girija Madhavan, who is a Kathakali artist.
She has a brother, Madhu Warrier, who is an actor.
Husband & Children
Manju got married to actor Dileep on 20 October 1998. Due to some differences, they divorced each other in 2015. They have a daughter, Meenakshi.
Manju made her debut with the film Sakshyam in 1995.
In 2019, she made her Tamil debut with the film, ‘Asuran.’
In 2021, she made her Bollywood debut with the film titled ‘Amriki Pandit’ opposite R. Madhavan. In an interview, she talked about her Bollywood debut and said,
I am doing a film called Amriki Pandit with Madhavan. The shoot was going on in Bhopal when Madhavan was tested positive for COVID-19, so, we rescheduled. Now, as there’s a lockdown in Bhopal, we are waiting for things to settle down. I am very excited about the project. I am speaking Hindi and we are also shooting with live sound.”
She made her television debut with the serial Moharavam.
- In 2019, Manju attracted controversy when she filed an FIR against director VA Shrikumar Menon. In the FIR, she said that the director used many ways to defame her. She also mentioned that she came across many social media campaigns that were defaming her.
- Manju attracted controversy on 6 May 2022, when she filed a case against director Sanal Kumar Sasidharan for blackmailing her and defaming her reputation through social media. After her complaint, Sanal was arrested by the police from Parassala in Thiruvananthapuram. When police were arresting him, he went live on Facebook and told his fans that the police were trying to kidnap and kill him.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
Best Actress Award for the film ‘Ee Puzhayum Kadannu’ at Kerala State Film Awards
Best Actress (Malayalam) for the film ‘Ee Puzhayum Kadannu’ at Filmfare Awards South
Best Actress for the film ‘Sallapam’ and ‘Ee Puzhayum Kadannu’ at Kerala Film Critics Association Awards
Best Actress (Malayalam) for the film ‘Ee Puzhayum Kadannu’ at Screen Videocon Awards
Best Actress (Malayalam) for the film ‘Kaliyattam’and ‘Aaram Thamburan’ at Filmfare Awards South
Best Actress (Malayalam) for the film ‘Aaram Thampuran’ and Krishnagudiyil Oru Pranayakalathu’ at Screen Videocon Awards
Best Actress (Malayalam) for the film ‘Kanmadam’ at Filmfare Awards South
Best Actress for the film ‘Kanmadam’ at Asianet Film Awards
Best Actress (Malayalam) for the film ‘Pathram’ at Filmfare Awards South
A special mention for the feature film ‘Kannezhuthi Pottum Thottu’ at the National Film Awards
Special Jury Mention at the Kerala Film Critics Association Awards for the film ‘Kannezhuthi Pottum Thottu’
Best Actress at Asianet Film Awards for the film ‘Kannezhuthi Pottum Thottu’ and ‘Pathram’
Best Actress (Malayalam) for the film ‘How Old Are You’ at Filmfare Awards South
Best Actress (Malayalam) for the film ‘How Old Are You’ at South Indian International Movie Awards
Best Actress for the movie ‘How Old Are You’ at Asianet Film Awards
Best Actress for the film ‘How Old Are You’ at Vanitha Film Awards
Best Actress for the movie ‘Vettah’ at Asianet Film Awards
Best Actress for the film ‘Vettah’ and ‘Karinkunnam 6’s’ at Asiavision Awards
Best Actress – Critics (Malayalam) for the film ‘Udaharanam Sujatha’ at Filmfare Awards South
Best Actress for the film ‘Udaharanam Sujatha’ and ‘C/O Saira Banu’ at Kerala Film Critics Association Awards
Best Actress at Vanitha Film Awards for the film ‘Karinkunnam 6’s’
Best Actress for the film ‘Udaharanam Sujatha’ at Asiavision Awards
Best Actress (Malayalam) for the film ‘Aami’ at Filmfare Awards South
Best Actress for the film ‘Aami’ and ‘Odiyan’ at Asianet Film Awards
Best Actress for the film ‘Udaharanam Sujatha’ at Vanitha Film Awards
Best Actress for the film ‘Aami’ at Asiavision Awards
Best Actress for the film ‘Prathi Poovankozhi’ at Kerala Film Critics Association Awards
Best Actress – Critics (Tamil) for the film ‘Asuran’ at South Indian International Movie Awards
Most Popular Tamil Actress at Asianet Film Awards for the film ‘Asuran’
Best Actress for the film ‘Aami’ and ‘Odiyan’ at Vanitha Film Awards
Note: She has won many other awards.
Manju owns a Mini Cooper SE. She is the first celebrity in India to buy an electric Mini Cooper SE.
Actress: Vidya Balan
- Manju is known by the name ‘Lady superstar’ by many news sources.
- She started her career at the age of seventeen. After working in more than twenty films, she took a break from acting.
- At the age of four, she started learning Bharatanatyam, but she gave up dancing after her marriage. In an interview, she talked about giving up dancing and said,
It was a much needed break because up until my marriage my life was hectic. A long break doing nothing and I enjoyed it.”
- On 24 October 2012, she performed Kuchipudi in the Guruvayur Sree Krishna Temple.
- In 2013, after she filed divorce, she acted in a commercial with actor Amitabh Bachchan. Later, she appeared in commercials for Kalyan Jewellers alongside Aishwarya Rai, Nagarjuna, Prabhu and Shiva Rajkumar.
- In 2013, she wrote her autobiography, ‘Sallapam’ and released the book at the 18th International Book Festival organised by DC Books. In an interview, she talked writing the book and said,
I am not a writer. I am not even confident about my vocal abilities. However, with the right guidance I could write this book.”
- In 2014, she returned to films after fifteen years with the film ‘How Old Are You.’ In an interview, she talked about her comeback and said,
Well, technologically, a lot has changed. Films are all about being digital and shot in high definition. I’ve never been big on technology so I just know and understand the basics. But everything else is the same – the shooting atmosphere, teams, people, sets. I’ve been very fortunate to work with good people in the nineties and when I came back in 2014.”
- She is the founding member of Women in Cinema Collective, the organisation that works for the security of women in the Malayalam movie industry.
- In 2016, she was assited by magician Muthukad and learned some magic tricks. She performed at a show called MOM in Thiruvananthapuram.
- In 2018, in an interview, she revealed that in 1996, while she was shooting for the film Sallapam she saw death really close to her. She further said that she was so much focused on the suicide scene that she was shooting at that time that she could not move away when the train came in front of her. Manoj, her co-star saved her on the right time.
- In 2019, while shooting for a film, she had to stay at a village for many days along with her crew members due to heavy rains and flood in Himachal Pradesh.
- Apart from acting, she works for social causes. She gave a speech at the National Women’s Talk Festival in Thiruvananthapuram and talked about her involvement in social causes. She said,
I don’t see any reason to glorify my involvement in social issues. There are a lot of people who do a lot more for society outside the limelight. Since I am known to the public, even the smallest of my deeds are projected in a big way.”
- She is a brand ambassador of the Lasagu coaching app, Kalyan Jewellers, Sony India, Meriiboy Ice Cream, Dhathri, Kitchen Treasures, Samsung, Ujala, Zee Keralam and myG.
- She works for various public awareness campaigns like She – Taxi, Kudumbasree’s Organic Farming, Naipunnya development program, the Kerala State Electricity Board, Pink Patrolling, Horticorp (Kerala State Horticultural Products and Development Corporation), Malayala Manorama – Kerala Can-Cancer awareness mission.