Monika Yadav, also known as Mamindla Maunika Yadav , is an Indian playback singer who mainly works in the Telugu film industry. In 2021, she shot to fame after singing the song ‘Saami Saami’ from the Telugu film “Pushpa: The Rise.”
Monika Yadav was born in 1997 (age 25 years; as of 2022) in Karimnagar, Telangana.
She studied at a local school in Karimnagar until class 6. Thereafter, she along with her family members shifted to Jammikunta. She is a graduate. When Monika and her sister were in their teens a music artist who was known to her father praised her sister after listening to her voice. He taught her sister singing and often asked her (Monika Yadav’s sister) to accompany him to stage performances. Monika often accompanied her sister to the singing venues. From there she got inclined towards music. Soon, she too started listening to songs and practising. In 2009, the Telangana movement escalated and the public awareness drive started from her hometown Kanaparthi. During that time, she sang in front of her elders for the first time. The song that she sang was ‘Godari Godari Oho Pareti Godari .. Suttu Neellunna Sukka.’ The song was very popular in her state at that time and everyone praised her singing. Soon, she began performing on stage. Monika’s first stage performance was a huge disappointment. However, her mother motivated her to continue singing.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Monika’s father, Mallya Raitu, is a wage worker. Her mother, Shyamala, is a homemaker. She has an elder sister, Padmavati, who is a singer. She has been singing folk songs since childhood.
Monika started her career as a folk singer with Manukota Prasad’s youtube channel ‘Manukota Patalu.’ On the channel, she sang songs like ‘Kusunnade on the bundle,’ ‘Ramulo Ramula,’ and ‘Bava O Sari Rava’ and gained huge popularity. Some of her songs gained more than 50 million views within a short span.
In 2021, she bagged an opportunity to sing a song for the Telugu film ‘Pushpa: The Rise’ starring Allu Arjun. She made her singing debut with the song ‘Saami Saami’ from the Telugu film ‘Pushpa: The Rise.’ The song was an instant hit and gained her huge popularity.
- Food: Dosa
- Dessert: Ice-cream
- Attire: Saree
- Colour: White
- She loves dancing and travelling in her leisure time.
- Monika’s family and friends fondly call her Manu.
- In 2021, she received a call from film director Sukumar‘s manager saying that Sukumar wanted her to sing a song for one of his films and asked her if she could locate to Chennai. At first, Monika didn’t believe it. However, she called back on the number and was convinced. She then moved to Chennai with her father. Describing the moment in an interview, she said,
When I saw Devisree Prasad in the recording studio, I could not speak. He called me after hearing my song ‘Bawa .. Osari Rawa ..’ It was sung again, voice tested and sent. I was worried all day and night whether they would like it or not. The next day telling about the movie .. Devi read every sentence in the lyrics and explained the meaning. I practised and finished singing in three days.”
- In an interview, Monika shared that her family had faced many hardships when she was young. Her mother used to pawn her jewellery to arrange money for her daughters’ (singing) and his father used to put aside his work to take them to the singing venues.
- She has got a tattoo inked on her right forearm.