Musa Askan Yamak (1984-2022) was a Turkish-born, German boxer, who came to the world’s attention, in 2021, after winning the coveted World Boxing Federation Championship. Musa Yamak died in 2022 after he suffered a heart attack while participating in a boxing match in Munich, Germany.
Musa Askan Yamak was born in 1984 (age 38 years; at the time of death) in Alucra, Giresun, Turkey. He started learning boxing at a very young age and also began participating in several local-level boxing championships.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Weight (approx.): 85 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Light Brown
Body Measurements (approx.): 42-34-15
Musa Yamak belonged to a Turkish family.
Parents & Siblings
Not much information is available about his parents’ names or professions. He has a brother named Emrah Yamak. He was the manager of Musa Yamak and is also a co-founder of Boxsport.
Musa Yamak’s marital status remains unknown.
Musa Yamak was a follower of Islam.
Throughout his boxing career, Musa Yamak had participated in a total of 75 matches. In all the matches, in which Musa Yamak participated, he remained undefeated. Musa began his professional international boxing career in 2017. From 2017 to 2022, Musa participated in 8 international matches. He held the record of finishing all of his eight matches with a Total Knock Out (KO) to the opponents. In 2019, Musa Yamak fought Jackson Junior, a Brazilian boxer, in Ankara, Turkey.
In the same year, Musa Yamak, in Turkey, faced-off several renowned Turkish boxers such as Ilhami Aydemir and Sükrü Altay.
In 2020, during his fourth professional international boxing match, Musa Yamak fought against the Iranian boxing champion called, Mahdi Sadafi. Musa won the boxing match.
In 2021, Musa Yamak faced the Columbian boxer, Francisco Cordero El Vulcano.
A worthy contender
Musa Yamak, in his boxing career, had won many laurels. Musa Yamak, in 2021, won the Global Boxing Union’s Championship. The championship was held on his home turf in Turkey. Later in 2021, Musa Yamak defeated the Lightweight Asian-European Championship contender, Christian Dulz, who is a German boxer. Musa Yamak, in 2021, was announced as a victor in the World Boxing Federation (W. B. Fed) Championship. Musa Yamak also became the International Boxing Champion.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- In 2019, Musa Yamak became the Light Weight Asian-European champion.
- In 2019, Musa Yamak became the Global Boxing Union champion.
- In 2021, Musa Yamak became the World Boxing Federation Champion.
- Musa Yamak also held the title of International Boxing Champion.
On 15 May 2022, while participating in a boxing match against the Ugandan boxer named, Hamza Wandera, Musa Yamak suffered a massive cardiac arrest. During the second round of the boxing match, Musa Yamak received a heavy blow from Hamza, which was cited as one of the main reasons for Musa’s heart failure. Musa collapsed in the third round, while he was in the ring. In an interview, the Munich Police said,
The paramedics saw the turbulent scenes of the emotionally charged up fans as well as the family members present on the site. To ensure the safety of the paramedics, we sent out a lot of patrols. We then set up a protection corridor on site so that paramedics could work safely and conscientiously.”
- Musa Yamak, for his furiosity, was also called, “The Bul.”
- Musa Yamak was the co-owner of a boxing match promoting company called, Boxsport.
- Whenever Musa promoted a boxing match via Boxsport, the events were often attended by well-known personalities. One such event was visited by a famous German minister, Christoph Tesche.
- Musa Yamak, throughout his boxing career, had been a part of more than 75 boxing fights. Musa remained undefeated in all of his boxing matches.
- Musa, to participate in his boxing matches, often went to the different parts of the globe.
- Musa Yamak’s performance throughout his career had been exceptional, as a result of which, he was once invited as a guest of honour at the Grand National Assembly of Turkey. In an interview, a Turkish official said,
I wish God’s mercy on the deceased sportsman, whom we met at the Grand National Assembly of Turkey when he came to Ankara to participate in a competition, and I also give my condolences to his sad and bereaved family and the fans.”
- Musa Yamak, owing to his performance, became a star in Turkey; where he often met high-ranking ministers from Turkey.
- In 2019, Musa Yamak was nominated for Turkey’s prestigious Athlete of the Year award.
- Musa Yamak was well-known for his generosity. He often visited old age homes, in both Turkey and Germany.
- Apart from participating in boxing matches, Musa was also called to do commentary for several professional boxing matches.
- Musa Yamak had several tattoos inked on his body. His upper body had three tattoos. He had a tattoo on his left arm, right arm’s sleeve and a Spanish, La Familia, tattoo on his chest.