Rimi Sen is an Indian actress, who worked in Hindi, Telegu, and Bengali films. Rimi was also a contestant in Big Boss season 9.
Rimi Sen born Subhamitra Sen was born on Monday, 21 September 1981 (age 40 years; as of 2022) in Calcutta (now Kolkata), India.
Rimi pursued her school at Bidya Bharati Girls’ High School, Kolkata in 1999. Later, she graduated from the University of Calcutta. According to Rimi, she was a shy girl from her childhood. After completing her studies, she came to Mumbai along with her mother to fulfil her desire to be an actress. Rimi worked for many brands and was seen in many successful Bollywood movies that gave her recognization.
Height (approx): 5’5″
Weight (approx): 60Kg
Hair Colour: Light Brown
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Body Measurements (approx): 34-25-34
Rimi Sen belongs to a Bengali family. According to Rimi, her family didn’t support her decision to be an actress except for her grandfather.
Parents & Siblings
Rimi’s mother’s name is Papiya Sen and her father’s name is Raja Sen.
Rimi has a younger sister.
As an Actress
After completing her studies she moved to Mumbai with her mother and started giving auditions. After giving various auditions, she got work in an ad for coca-cola, in which she was seen opposite Aamir Khan.
Rimi worked in many music videos and later, she started getting offers for Bollywood films. Rimi worked with actors like Salman Khan, Akshay Kumar, Abhishek Bachchan, and Ajay Devgan. In 2003, she worked in the film Hungama co-starred with Akshaye Khanna, Aftab Shivdasani, and Paresh Rawal.
Later, she worked in movies like Dhoom (2004).
In 2005, she worked in the movie Kyun Ki and Garam Masala.
In 2006, she worked in the movie Golmaal, which was a superhit and in the same year, she was also seen in Dhoom 2 and Jhonny Gaddhar.
In 2008, she acted in the movie De Taali.
Rimi also appeared in Sanket City in 2009 and Horn Ok Please. However, these movies didn’t received a good response from the audience.
In 2011, Rimi further appeared in movies like Thankyou and Shagird, which were not a success.
Rimi also worked in the Bengali National Award-winning film, Swapner Din, by Buddhadeb Dasgupta in 2004 and also worked in Telugu films.
As a Producer
After not getting good success in her movie, Rimi decided to turn into a producer. In 2016, Rimi produced a film named Budhia Singh-Born to run, which also won the best film award in 2016. Rimi changed her screen name from Rimi to her birth name Subhamitra Sen for her production venture.
In 2015, Rimi came as a contestant in Big Boss season 9.
In 2017, Rimi came into politics and joined BJP, where she was was named as the saffron party’s star campaigner and later, in 2022 Rimi joined the congress party on 7 February in Uttrakhand. She was welcomed by the chief minister of Uttrakhand Harish Rawat.
In 2006, after the release of the film Golmal, Rimi Sen insulted the African community in an online interview. She Quoted
I play a sweet and beautiful girl in the film. The best thing that I like about the film is that though it has four heroes, I am the only heroine. Rohit Shetty is amazing as a director. He can make even a black African look pretty.
Rimi was criticised by the journalist and by a prominent Bangladeshi-born researcher in the US, in which the researcher quoted,
This is a reflection of the strong anti-African bias of Bollywood but also a larger reflection of the Hindu caste system and perceptions of race in the Indian Sub-continent. I think most of the Indians/Hindus in the UK keep these ideas submerged in their minds but would not have the courage to voice them in a multicultural society like the UK.
Food (s): Aloo Posto, Kheer, Chicken Biryani
Actor (s): Paresh Rawal, Salman Khan
Actress (s): Urmila Matondkar, Madhuri Dixit
Drink: Cold Coffee, Green tea
Watch Brand: Rolex
- Rimi said in an interview that she joined the film industry only for financial stability and not for fame and attention.
- When Rimi was asked about her disappearing from the film industry she said that she was offered only comedy movies and she also revealed that 60 per cent of the time she didn’t get to see the script of the movies she worked in.
- According to Rimi Sen, she auditioned for the film Swades and Munna Bhai MBBS but eventually, she was replaced.
- Rimi Sen expressed her desire to work in an OTT platform as it offers plenty of opportunities for artists.
- As per Rimi in her school days, very few knew her name, she was uncomfortable with the attention.
- While interacting with the media person about the food habits, Rimi said that she is not a breakfast person as she prefers having tea and biscuits for breakfast. She is also allergic to prawns.
- Rimi revealed in an interview that she is a very short-tempered person.
- According to Rimi, when she goes abroad she only prefers eating Indian food or a Mcdonald’s burger.
- On talking to the media about her comeback Rimi said that after disappearing from the film industry she worked on transforming herself. She became a fitness freak as she follows a strict diet plan and regularly goes to the gym.
- Rimi is a trained Odissi and Kathak dancer.