Ritu Khanduri is an Indian political leader. She won the 2022 Uttarakhand assembly election from the Kotdwar constituency of Uttarakhand on the ticket of the Bharatiya Janata Party. In March 2022, she was chosen as the first woman speaker at the Uttarakhand Legislative Assembly. She has also headed the Uttarakhand Mahila Morcha unit of the Bharatiya Janata Party.
Ritu Khanduri was born on Friday, 29 January 1965 (age 57 years; as of 2022) in Pauri, Uttarakhand. Her zodiac sign is Aquarius. In 1986, she earned a BA (Hons.) degree from Raghunath Girls College, Meerut University. Later, she did her post-graduation at Rajasthan University.
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Ritu Khanduri’s father’s name is Bhuwan Chandra Khanduri who is a former Chief Minister of Uttarakhand and a retired Major General from the Indian Army. In 1982, he was honoured with the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal. Bhuwan Chandra Khanduri was appointed as the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand two times – from 2007 to 2009, and from 2011 to 2012. Her mother’s name is Aruna Khanduri.
Her grandfather’s name is Jai Ballabh Khanduri, and he was a journalist. Her grandmother’s name is Durga Devi Khanduri, and she was a social activist. Ritu Khanduri has two siblings, and one of her siblings is a politician named Manish Khanduri.
Husband & Children
Ritu Khanduri is married to an IAS officer named Rajesh Bhushan who was appointed as the Union Health Secretary of India in 2022.
The couple has two children.
Ritu Khanduri started working as a professor at Amity University in Noida in 2006. She taught there till 2017. In 2017, she joined politics at the behest of her father, BC Khanduri. In a media conversation, one of her acquaintances stated that Ritu Khanduri always wanted to be a teacher. He said,
She was a teacher and she was very happy with her teaching job. She had initial hesitancy in taking the political plunge but did so at the behest of her father. The reluctance was initial, because now she is fully invested in politics. She was crestfallen after being denied the ticket (from Yamkeshwar) because she had nurtured the constituency really well.”
Bhuwan Chandra Khanduri was defeated by his opponent Surendra Singh Negi in the assembly elections from the Kotdwar seat in 2012. Since then, he did not contest any elections. The legacy of Bhuwan Chandra Khanduri was taken over by Ritu Khanduri in 2017. She defeated former minister Surendra Singh Negi in the 2017 assembly elections from the Yamkeshwar constituency and won the election for the first time. In 2022, she contested the assembly elections from the Kotdwar constituency on the ticket of the Bharatiya Janata Party and won with a great margin. In March 2022, she was designated as the sixth speaker of the Uttarakhand state’s Legislative Assembly. The first speaker of the Uttarakhand Legislative Assembly was a BJP candidate named Prakash Pant.
- Cash: Rs. 50,000
- Deposits in Banks: Rs. 24,50,515
- Bonds, Debentures and Shares: Rs. 13,51,772
- LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs. 6,65,012
- Motor Vehicles: Rs. 8,20,000
- Jewellery : Rs. 24,00,000Gross Total Value: Rs. 70,72,317
- Agricultural Land: Rs. 32,00,000
- Non Agricultural Land: Rs. 80,80,400
- Commercial Buildings: Rs. 20,00,000
- Residential Buildings: Rs. 1,35,00,000Total: Rs. 2,67,80,400
- Loans from Banks: Rs. 1,50,345
- Her full name is Ritu Khanduri Bhushan.
- Manish Khanduri, one of the siblings of Ritu Khanduri, is an Indian National Congress leader. In 2019, he lost the Lok Sabha elections from the Garhwal constituency.
- In March 2022, soon after winning the assembly elections from the Kotdwar constituency, in a media conversation, Ritu Khanduri promised the Kotdwar voters that she would work hard to ensure development. She said,
First of all, I want to thank the party high command and voters of Kotdwar for reposing faith in me. It is exactly a decade when my father had also contested from here and will work hard to ensure development and local people’s issues are taken up and solved.”
- Ritu Khanduri remains very active on her Facebook page. She often posts pictures and videos of her political campaigns and rallies on it. She is followed by over 15k people on Facebook.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings