Rohit Shetty is an Indian film director, producer, and host who is known for directing the Bollywood film series ‘Golmaal’ (2006).
Rohit Shetty was born on Thursday, 14 March 1974 (age 48 years; as of 2022) in Bombay, Maharashtra. His zodiac sign is Pisces. He attended St. Mary’s High School & Junior College, Mumbai.
Height (approx.): 5′ 10″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Rohit’s father’s name is M. B. Shetty, who was a stuntman.
His mother’s name is Ratna.
He has two stepbrothers, Hriday and Uday Shetty, and four sisters, Chanda Shetty, Chaya Shetty, and Mehek Shetty. One of her sister’s names is not known.
Wife & Children
Rohit got married to Maya Rohit Shetty, who is a banker in 2005. They have a son, Ishaan.
It was reported that Rohit was dating Prachi Desai.
He resides in an apartment at Hasya Kalakar Mehmood Chowk, Juhu, Mumbai.
Rohit started working in films at a young age. Rohit made his debut as a director with the film Zameen in 2003.
He directed other Hindi films including Golmaal: Fun Unlimited (2006), All The Best: Fun Begins (2009), Singham (2011), Dilwale (2015), and Simmba (2018).
Rohit has appeared as a judge on the television show Comedy Circus (2009-2011) and India’s Next Superstars (2018).
He was invited to various shows like Bigg Boss Halla Bol (2015), Dance Deewane 3 (2021), Bigg Boss 15 (2021), Hunarbaaz: Desh Ki Shaan (2022), and India’s Got Talent (season 9) (2022) as a guest.
He has hosted various reality shows including Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi 5 (2014), Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi 6 (2015), Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi 8 (2017), Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi 9 (2019), and Fear Factor: Khatron Ke Khiladi – Made in India (2020).
Quarrel with Katrina Kaif
In 2020, Rohit attracted controversy when he was criticized by the fans of actress Katrina Kaif after he made a sexist remark toward her. In an interview, he revealed that while talking to Katrina about a scene in the film ‘Sooryavanshi,’ he said,
Katrina, I will tell you honestly, no one is going to look at you.”
The remark was made about a scene where Katrina was seen with Akshay Kumar, Ajay Devgn and Ranveer Singh. Later, Katrina took to social media and said,
Dear Friends and Well-wishers… I normally do not comment on media reports or articles… But in this case, I feel a comment made by Rohit Sir has been taken out of context and is been entirely misunderstood. I am referring to the comment as reported that Rohit Shetty said, ‘No one would look at me in the frame, as there are three boys there and a blast happening.”
Corruption case against Rohit
In 2015, he attracted controversy when he was alleged of bribing the Censor Board to pass his film Singham Returns.
Muslims portrayed as villains in Rohit’s films
In 2021, he attracted controversy when he was questioned about Muslims shown as villains in his movies. In an interview, he talked about this and said,
If I ask you one question, Jaykant Shikare was Hindu a Marathi, in this universe second came a Hindu Godman was there, then in Simmba a Maharashtrian again. In these three negative forces were Hindu. Why isn’t that a problem?”
- In 2013, he won Best film at Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards India for the film ‘Chennai Express.’
- In 2013, he won Power Club – Box Office Award at Zee Cine Awards for the film ‘Bol Bachchan.’
- In 2014, he won Mr Box Office India Blockbuster at Star Box Office India Awards for the film ‘Singham Returns.’
- In 2018, he won Best Film (Jury’s Choice Award) at Zee Cine Awards for the film ‘Golmaal Again.’
Rohit owns five cars:
- Lamborghini Urus
- Ford Mustang GT
- Maserati GT Sport
- Range Rover Vogue
- BMW 7- Series
He earns Rs. 49 lakh per episode.
His net worth as of 2019 is Rs. 32.17 crores.
- Food: Daal Chawal
- Actor: Ajay Devgn, Amitabh Bachchan
- Actress: Kareena Kapoor
- Car: Range Rover
- Director(s): Raju Hirani, Shankar, Rajamouli, James Cameron, Michael Bay
- Rohit’s hobbies include travelling and gymming.
- He has a tattoo on his right arm and left arm.
- At the age of seventeen, he worked as an assistant director in the Bollywood film ‘Phool Aur Kaante.’
- In the initial time of his career, most of his films were with Ajay Devgn. Some of these films include Suhaag, Haqeeqat, Pyaar To Hona Hi Tha, Hindustan Ki Kasam and Raju Chacha.
- Rohit gained a lot of popularity with the Golmaal series. In 2010, his film ‘Golmaal 3’ was listed in the 100 Crore Club domestically.
- In 2011, he created a platform, ‘Cop Universe’ for Indian media that focuses on police officers. He directed the film ‘Singham’ under this platform.
- In an interview, Rohit said that he shared a strong bond with Ajay Devgn because they have worked together in many films including ‘Golmaal’ and ‘Singham.’ In an interview, Ajay Devgn talked about Rohit and said,
My journey would have remained incomplete without Rohit. He had joined Ajay Devgn FFilms as an assistant, and became part of the family. I take loads of pride in Rohit, who started with us and has reached so far. He made it possible with his dedication and hard work as well as his passion. All of us have witnessed his journey.”
In another interview, when Rohit was asked to talk about his relationship with Ajay, he said,
My film journey would be incomplete without Ajay Devgn’s part in it. We have spent 30 years together, and this relation is just not about a few Fridays, but of two generations. Let me tell you that whatever you guys see in Tanhaji is a dream that Ajay had nurtured for almost 30 years. He wanted it to be a visual of a lifetime for all of you. Incidentally and fortunately, this is Ajay’s 100th film, but behind this has been his honesty, commitment and dedication.”
- In 2022, he did endorsements for the clothing brand LawmanPg3 after he was chosen as the brand ambassador of the brand.
- In 2022, Anand Mahindra, Chairperson of Mahindra and Mahindra, amusingly said that Rohit would need a nuclear bomb to explode the new model of SUV, ScorpioN, launched by him. He said so because Rohit often directs films in which he shows cars exploding in various scenes.
- Many people were surprised to see that there was no cop introduced at the end of the film ‘Sooryavanshi’ directed by Rohit. In an interview, he talked about this and said that he wanted to take a break from the cop world.
- According to him, he failed in class six and had to repeat it.
- In an interview, he revealed that he used to earn Rs. 35 at the beginning of his career.
- In 2022, he directed the web series ‘Indian Police Force’ starring Sidharth Malhotra, Shilpa Shetty and Vivek Oberoi, which was released on the OTT platform Zee5. Rohit made his digital debut with this web series.
- In 2022, he posted a picture with Mumbai’s cop Rakesh Maria on social media and announced that he would direct a biopic about him.
- In an interview, when Rohit was asked about the success of his films, he said that he avoided putting vulgar scenes in his films. He further added,
My saying that would be quite arrogant. It would be filmy for me to say I know the formula. But, I feel that I know my audience’s emotions. It’s the aunties, mummies, dadas and dadis, and I don’t want them to be uncomfortable in the cinema hall during any scene, and that works for me.”
- In 2022, he took to social media to share a video directed by him on Mumbai Police’s Nirbhaya Squad. The Mumbai police also shared the video on Instagram and captioned it, ‘Laangh Ke Ab Tu Laxman Rekha, Ban Nidar, Ban Nirbhaya!’