Sarita Choudhury is a British actress who is known for her role as Meena in the film Mississippi Masala (1991).
Sarita Choudhury was born as Sarita Catherine Louise Choudhury on Sunday, 18 August 1966 (age 56 years; as of 2022) in Blackheath, London, England. Her zodiac sign is Leo. She studied economics and film at Queen’s University in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 58 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): 36-25-36
Parents & Siblings
Sarita was born to an Indian father, Prabhas Chandra Choudhury, who was a scientist and an English mother, Julia Patricia.
She has two brothers, Kumar Michael Choudhury, and Chandra Paul Choudhury.
Husband & Children
Sarita’s husband is a photographer and they have a daughter, Maria.
She is half Indian and half English.
Sarita made her acting debut in the film Mississippi Masala (1991) and played the role of Meena.
She has appeared in many films including The House of the Spirits (1993), Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love (1996), Just a Kiss (2002), She Hate Me (2004), and The Accidental Husband (2008).
Sarita made her television debut in 1995 with the show ‘Down Came a Blackbird’ and played the role of Myrna.
She has featured in other television shows including Subway Stories (1997), The Good Wife (2010), Homeland (2011-2017), The Path (2018), and Jessica Jones (2019).
Sarita first appeared in the short film ‘Dinner Party’ in 1997 as Rosie.
She appeared in other short films including Lady in a Box (2006), Give Into the Night (2013), Wake O Wake (2016), Human Terrain (2019), and Here Comes Frieda (2020).
In 2022, she won Best Supporting Actress for the movie ‘The Green Knight.’
- Sarita’s hobbies include dancing and riding a cycle.
- In an interview, she said that as a child she used to notice people around her and learn their accents. She also added that her brothers used to make fun of her for copying other people’s accents.
- She was interested in entertainment since childhood. She used to attend dance classes when she was four years old. She realized that she wanted to become an actress when she was sixteen years old.
- When she was studying acting at Queen’s University, she acted in films that her friends made as a part of their projects. In an interview, she said that her first job in the film industry was when her professors from the university gave her a job of translating scripts.
- She did her first film Mississippi Masala when she was twenty-three years old. She wanted to pursue her further studies, but she did not get a chance because she received a lot of acing roles.
- She was often asked to play the role of girls belonging to different nationalities like South American and Bosnian.
- In 2010, in an interview, she said that she wished to shift to India and work in Bollywood films. She further added,
I want to [move to India]. People think I don’t want to come back. They think I want to be in America as it has been really good to me. But I need something more culturally rich now. I’d like to do it soon. I think I should do it soon.”
- She learned classical Indian dance when she was shooting for the film Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love (1996). In the film, she did many nude scenes. In an interview, she said that she did nude scenes in films only when she trusted the director of the film.
- In an interview, she talked about Indian cinema and said,
Thankfully Indian cinema is not just about Bollywood anymore, because that kind of cinema is not really my taste. But there are smaller films, more original and more real, that are also being made and I want to be a part of such cinema.”
- Sarita was fifty years old when she featured in the show ‘And Just Like That’ in 2021. In an interview, she talked about ageism and said,
When you turn 50, you’re told that you’re done. In 2021, most marriages didn’t last until people were in their fifties. You were back on the dating scene. You’re having some bad dates, maybe a few good ones. There are a lot of things going on. In your thirties, you go to the disco or you go to the cool bar. Where do you go in your fifties? What is the scene?’ They’ve done a good job in us trying to figure that out ourselves and making a lot of mistakes.”
- In 2022, Sarita was criticized by the public because she referred to the lehenga as a saree in the Diwali episode of the series ‘And Just Like That.’ In the episode, she went to a shop with her friend and suggested her to buy a lehenga which she referred to as a saree.