Sofía Isabel Jirau González , better known as Sofia Jirau, is a Puerto Rican fashion model and businesswoman. In 2022, she became the first Victoria’s Secret model with Down syndrome.
Sofia Jirau was born on Tuesday, March 26, 1996 (age 26 years; as of 2022), in Puerto Rico. Her zodiac sign is Aries.
Born with down syndrome, Sofia initially avoided attending regular schools as she had to attend various therapies. When she was two years old, she enrolled at Puerto Rican Down Syndrome Foundation’s little school. She attended the school till the age of 5 and then began looking for a regular school. She completed her graduation at the age of 19. Sofia loved dancing since childhood and grew up taking ballet classes. She desired to become a model from a very young age. In an interview, while talking about the same, Sofia said,
Since I was little I said that when I grew up I wanted to be a model. I like modeling, being myself, being in front of cameras, and modeling on the catwalk quietly.”
Height (approx.): 4′ 9″
Weight (approx.): 50 Kg
Hair Color: Blonde
Eye Color: Grey
Figure Measurements (approx.): 34-28-34
Parents & Siblings
Sofia Jirau is the daughter of Frankie Jirau and Mimi Gonzalez. She has an elder sister, Paola Cristina Jirau, and two younger brothers Rodrigo Jose Jirau and Nacho Jirau.
Her grandparents are Francisco Jirau and Wanda Rosaly.
Sofia Jirau started her career as a model on her 23rd birthday, i.e., on March 26, 2019. She bagged her first modeling opportunity from Wanda Beauchamp and since then has modeled for many popular fashion designers. She made her runway debut at the New York Fashion Week on February 10, 2020.
She was one of the very few models with down syndrome to have participated in the event. The event was covered by many popular media houses including Vogue Mexico, People, Hola!, and Univision. She has also collaborated with many fashion photographers from Puerto Rico.
Subsequently, she landed a job as an Experience Ambassador at INprende, a company in Puerto Rico that promotes entrepreneurship in various sectors through education and the design of creative ideas. The company helped Sofia to launch her online store named ‘Alavett.’ The store deals in clothing, accessories, and home products and is based on her favorite phrase ‘I Love It.’
In an interview, sharing how she started her online store, she said,
One day I took a blank piece of paper and wrote “Alavett” and Alessandra Correa from INprende took it and they helped me to have my product line. It’s out and you can buy. There are shirts, a cap, a wallet, a thermos, and a cell phone cover.”
In 2022, Jirau became the first model with down syndrome to become a Victoria’s Secret Angel. She, along with 17 other models joined the American retail company Victoria’s Secret for the Love Cloud Collection, the company’s newest line of underwear. Sofia announced her association with the brand through her Instagram account and said that it was a dream come true for her. On her Instagram account, she wrote,
One day I dreamed of it, I worked on it and today it is a dream come true. I can finally tell you my big secret. I am the first Victoria’s Secret model with Down’s syndrome.”
She has endorsed many fashion and beauty products on her Instagram account.
Besides being a model, Jirau has launched an online campaign called ‘No Limits.’ The campaign aims to educate people about Down Syndrome.
- Food: Chicken with Broccoli, Stuffed Breast, Octopus, Shrimp, Fish, Pizza
- Beverage: Coffee
- Sport: Volleyball
- Singer(s): Bad Bunny, Ricky Martín, Luis Fonsi, Enrique Iglesias
- Place: Old San Juan in Puerto Rico
- In her spare time, Sofia enjoys going to a beach, mall, and Old San Juan, listening to music, and dancing.
- Her family and friends affectionately call her Sofi.
- She follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- Sofia is very particular about her fitness and visits the gym regularly. Her gymming routine includes ‘Boot Camp’ (a type of correctional facility for adolescents, especially in the U.S. penal system) and little weights.
- Her favorite phrase is ‘I love it.’
- During an interview, Sofia shared that her goal was to motivate other people with Down Syndrome or any other health issues to pursue their dreams. She said,
I always say ‘Inside and out there are no limits’ to motivate people to break through their self-imposed limitations.”
- In childhood, she was once featured on the cover of the ‘Salud Al Día’ magazine.
- She is an avid dog lover and has a pet dog named Lola.
- Her fashion icon is Jennifer Lopez. In an interview, she expressed her desire to meet Lopez someday.
- During an interview, Sofia shared that her modeling journey started with a dress trial. Jirau tried on a Marisa Santiago suit, and the designer liked it so much that she signed her for a fashion event in New York.