Sulakshana Sawant is an Indian politician, school teacher, and social worker. She is the former president of the BJP Mahila Morcha, Goa, and wife of the thirteenth Chief Minister of Goa, Pramod Sawant.
Sulakshana Sawant was born on 15 February in Sanquelim, Goa. Her zodiac sign is Aquarius. She did her schooling at Shri Shantadurga High School, Bicholim, Goa. From 1997 to 2000, she pursued a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry from Govt. College of Arts, Science & Commerce, Sanquelim, Goa. In 2002, she completed a Master of Science in Chemistry from Goa University, Goa. She then pursued a Bachelor of Education (B. Ed.) Maths and Science from Nirmala Institute of Education, Panaji, Goa, from 2003 to 2004.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Her brother, Virendra (Videsh) Yeshwant Desai, is a businessman.
Husband & Children
She is married to Pramod Sawant, the thirteenth Chief Minister of Goa. Their wedding anniversary falls on 28 May. The couple has a daughter named Parthivi Sawant.
Sulakshana Sawant follows Hinduism.
No. 2627, Housing Board Colony, Sankhali Goa, City: Bicholim, District: North Goa, State: Goa 403505
On 14 June 2004, she joined Shri Shantadurga High School, Bicholim, Goa, as a chemistry teacher.
In March 2016, she was elected as the BJP Mahila Morcha President (Goa). One of her main agendas as the BJP Mahila Morcha President was to get 33 per cent reservation for women in the party. She even asked to pass the reservation bill in Parliament before the 2017 state (Goa) election. In an interview, she said that for her the nation comes before the party. She said,
When we come from the Sangh, for us country comes before party. This sentiment of keeping nation first is taught to us by RSS. When someone does social work keeping this sentiment in mind or enters politics with the principle that nation should come first then whatever work we do is for the nation.”
Her income is Rs. 15,12,140 (approx.) as of 2018-2019.
- Cash: Rs. 50,000
- Deposits in Banks, Financial Institutions and Non-Banking Financial Companies: Rs. 1,49,000
- Bonds, Debentures and Shares in companies: Rs. 20,000
- LIC or other insurance Policies: Rs. 1,01,00,000
- Motor Vehicles: Rs. 2,00,000
- Jewellery: Rs. 22,00,000
Gross Total Value: 1,50,65,462
- Non Agricultural Land: Rs. 9,00,000
- In an interview, while talking about her husband, she said,
He is a “methodical and planning oriented person” and he has worked as Speaker and chairman of a corporation, which gives him good experience and confidence for the job of Chief Minister of the coalition government.”
- She is a religious person and often visits nearby temples.
- In 2018, she was leading the BJP Mahila Morcha (Goa) wing to protest against the release of the Hindi film ‘Padmavati’ which was later renamed Padmaavat.
- During one of her press conferences, she said that the government could not provide security to every individual. She said,
If we go through the figures, the thing which is most significant is the mentality [of the criminal]. We need to change the mentality at the earliest. We cannot give protection to an individual. But an individual can act as a protector to any person in distress if he sees something wrong happening around. This does not happen often.”
- On the eve of her birthday, her husband shared a loving post for her on his Facebook account. He wrote,
A very Happy Birthday to my better half, a power house for me, a consistent support system that allows me to dedicate my life and time to the welfare of the people of Goa, my wife Smt. Sulakshana Sawant. It fills me with great pride so see your growth as a person and the way you have dedicated your life to service of the people. May God bless you with all the happiness & good health.”