Sumona Chakravarti is an Indian actress and comedian. She gained immense popularity with the Hindi TV comedy show ‘Comedy Nights with Kapil’ (2013) in which she played the character of Manju Sharma.
Sumona Chakravarti was born on Friday, 24 June 1988 (age 33 years; as of 2021) in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. Her zodiac sign is Cancer.
In 1997, she shifted from Lucknow to Mumbai with her parents. She did her schooling at Red Hill School, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, and Loreto Convent Intermediate College, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. After completing her class 10, she attended Jai Hind College, Mumbai and did her class 11 and class 12 in arts. She then pursued a Bachelor of Arts (BA) in Economics from Jai Hind College, Mumbai.
Height (approx.): 5′ 2″
Weight (approx.): 50 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Figure Measurements (approx.): 34-28-34
Sumona Chakravarti belongs to a Bengali family.
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Sujeet Chakravarti, works in Sri Lanka. Her mother’s name is Shivargha Chakravarti. Her younger brother, Shivargha Chakravarti, works as a chef.
She was rumoured to be in a relationship with the Indian television actor Gaurav Chopra in 2014. Later, Sumona and Gaurav denied the rumours. Sumona said,
Well, I have two-three very good male friends. Ram (Kapoor) and Jai (Kalra) are married and Gaurav is not, so people try to link us up. Yes, we hang out at parties or at events, but I have been single for the last seven years.”
Later, Gaurav said,
There is absolutely nothing going on between us. We are friends. We just happened to meet at the film screening, that’s all. Moreover, there isn’t such a possibility (of a link-up) as there are other people in our lives. I’ve met someone recently and it’s nice. We are both glad to be together. There is a right time for everything and this isn’t the right time (to announce her name).”
In 2016, there were rumours that she was dating the Bengali actor Samrat Mukherjee who is the cousin of the famous Indian actress Rani Mukherji. He was 11 years older than Sumona, and there were rumours that the couple was getting married in 2016.
As of 2022, she has shared various pictures with Dushyant Singh on her Instagram account hinting towards her relationship with him.
In 2004, she participated in the beauty pageant Times of India Mr. and Miss Perfect in which she was declared the second runner-up. She then participated in the Miss Mumbai beauty contest in 2005. She was one of the finalists in the beauty contest Streax Savvy Cow Girl.
She started working as a child actor at the age of 11 in the Hindi film ‘Mann’ (1999) in which she played the role of Neha.
In 2010, she appeared in the Hindi film ‘Aakhari Decision’ as Mansee.
Some of her other Hindi films as a supporting actor are ‘Barfi!’ (2012), ‘Kick’ (2014), and ‘Phir Se…’ (2015).
In 2006, she appeared in the Hindi TV serial ‘Kasamh Se’ in which she played the role of Nivedita Deb. She played cameo roles in various Hindi TV serials such as ‘Sun Yaar Chill Maar’ (2007), ‘Kasturi’ (2007), ‘Sapno Se Bhare Naina’ (2010), and ‘Khotey Sikkey’ (2011). She came into the limelight with her role as Natasha Amarnath Kapoor in the Hindi TV serial ‘Bade Achhe Lagte Hain’ (2011).
In 2012, she appeared in a few episodes of the TV comedy show ‘Kahani Comedy Circus Ki’ as the partner of the Indian comedian Kapil Sharma. She was then roped in another TV comedy show ‘Comedy Nights with Kapil’ as Kapil Sharma’s wife Manju, and she gained immense popularity with her character.
Sumona appeared in a few other TV serials like ‘Jamai Raja’ (2015), ‘Dubai Diaries’ (2016), ‘Swiss Made Adventures’ (2016), and ‘Dev’ (2017). She appeared in ‘The Kapil Sharma Show Season 2’ (2018) as Bhoori and The Kapil Sharma Show Season 3 (2021) as the owner of Hotel Chill Palace.
Apart from TV serials and films, she has also performed in various theatre plays such as ‘Da Dating Truths’ (2009) and ‘The Relationship Agreement’ (2016).
She has worked as a model for various print advertisements like Jaanvi Fashion and Hunar Designs.
She has also appeared in a TV commercial for Honda car along with the Indian comedian Kapil Sharma.
- 2014: Best Ensemble Cast for Comedy Nights with Kapil
- 2015: Nominated for Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Comedy) for Comedy Nights with Kapil
- 2017: Nominated for Best Actor in a Comic Role (Female) for The Kapil Sharma Show
- Food: Butter Chicken with Butter Naan and Butter Garlic Prawns
- Drink(s): Virgin Mojito and Scotch
- Scotch Brand(s): Black Label and Double Black
- Cuisine(s): Chinese and Italian
- Actor(s): Salman Khan, Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan
- Actress(es): Deepika Padukone, Priyanka Chopra, Sushmita Sen
- Author: Paulo Coelho
- Colour(s): White, Blue
- Perfume: Burberry
- TV Show(s): Game of Thrones (2011), Homeland (2011), and House of Cards (2013)
Ferrai and Mercedes
Rs.6 lakh- Rs.7 lakh per episode (as of 2020)
- Her college friends call her Superstar. In an interview, while talking about it, she said,
I started working from a very young age. I used to act even while I was in college. All my friends would tease me. They all nick named me ‘Superstar’. Till date, if there is any article on me, I get a ping on BBM or on Facebook saying ‘Superstar’. The amount of publicity my friends would do telling anyone and everyone about me, was actually ridiculously funny. They definitely helped me get famous at least in college.”
- Since her childhood, she wanted to become an actor. During an interview, she shared that she used to participate in various dramas in school and college. She said,
I have no professional training in acting. I used to be a part of drama in school and college. I was a very fair and chubby kid. So a lot of people asked my mom to put me in ad films. Slowly and steadily over the years, I knew what is it that I’m going to do with my life.”
- Sumona is a religious person and often visits nearby temples.
- She is an avid dog lover. One of her dog’s named Rooney has died. She has one more dog named Bubbles.
- She has got two tattoos inked on her body. One of her tattoos is on her back near her neck, and the second is on her right leg.
- She regularly works out in the gym to maintain her fitness.
- In 2011, she took to Instagram to share that she was suffering from Endometriosis. She wrote,
The idea was to spread awareness about a health ailment #Endometriosis which is as common as PCOD/diabetes probably. Am glad a lot of young girls, women, doctors, husbands reaching out on behalf of their wives… have responded & realised how important it is to give it the medical attention it needs. As far as i’m concerned am doing okay. Been managing it medically for as long as i can remember. So thank u for all your duas & prayers. Peace & Love.”
- Sumona used to smoke cigarettes. Earlier, one of her videos while smoking went viral from the sets of ‘The Kapil Sharma Show.’ In 2019, she shared an Instagram post in which she wrote that she had quit smoking.
- She is often spotted consuming alcohol at parties and events.
- She has been a long time friend of the Indian TV actresses Urvashi Dholakia and Tarana Raja.
- Sumona follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- In 2020, during an interview, she shared that she had to ask for work as she did not have any projects during the coronavirus pandemic. She said,
People think I am arrogant and will ask him for more money for work. but it’s not like that. I want to tell everyone that as an actor, I demand what I deserve. If the project is good then I am ready to negotiate and negotiate for it. My PR skills are not good and I realized this for a long time. Now I am trying to improve my approach further, meeting people. I am also calling and messaging them. Just understand that I am asking for work. There is no shame in asking for work. You need to prove yourself through your work and then everything else will be fine. Just working hard is not enough.”
- In an interview, she was asked how she felt when her fellow comedian Kapil Sharma makes jokes about her lips in comedy shows. She said,
I can take a joke and laugh at myself. I don’t believe in taking life too seriously when I have the option of laughing my way through it. I personally think that I am a decent looking person and Kapil’s comments on my lips or looks, in general, don’t make me insecure; it’s all in good humour. In fact, during a lot of our live events, men walk up to Kapil and tell him that he has a good looking (onscreen) wife and that if he doesn’t like her, they’ll be happy to marry her.”
- She bought a 1BHK flat in West Mumbai of her own. She shared the news through an Instagram post. She wrote,
I wanted to experience what it is like to run my own house. This is the first time I am living by myself, a bit late in life,” she said. Now, brokers at her society tell potential buyers that it’s where the Kapil Sharma Show actor lives I like my me time, my solitude. I can’t do with a lot of people. I knew I wanted to build something exactly to my liking. This is a small house, and I didn’t want too many walls.”
- During an interview, she shared her diet mantra. She said,
I don’t have any diet plan; I eat everything but avoid eating junk food, and have just homemade food. I also make it a point to eat in every two to three hours and never overeat.”