Swami Prasad Maurya is an Indian politician. He is a member of the 17th Legislative Assembly of the Uttar Pradesh government. He was elected as a Member of the Legislative Assembly for five terms from the Dalmau and Padrauna constituency of Uttar Pradesh. As an MLA, he served key positions like cabinet minister, leader of the house, and leader of the opposition in the Uttar Pradesh government. Swami Prasad Maurya served as the Cabinet Minister for Labour, Employment and Co-ordination in Uttar Pradesh government from 19 March 2017 to 11 January 2022.
Swami Prasad Maurya was born on Saturday, 2 January 1954 (age 68 years; as of 2022) in Village and Post Office – Chakwad, Distt – Pratapgarh, U.P. His zodiac sign is Capricorn. He earned an M.A., L.L.B. degree from Allahabad University.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His father’s name is Badlu Maurya, and his mother’s name is Jagannathi Maurya. He has three younger brothers and a younger sister.
Wife & Children
Swami Prasad Maurya is married to Shiva Maurya. The couple has two children. The name of his son is Utkrust Maurya, and he is a politician.
His daughter’s name is Sanghmitra Maurya, and she is a politician.
183 Unchahar (Uttar Pradesh) constituency at Serial No. 679 in Part No. 302.
Swami Prasad Maurya started his political journey in 1980 when he was appointed as the chairman of Allahabad Yuva Lokdal in Uttar Pradesh. In the following year, he was promoted as the Member of the State Executive Committee of Yuva Lokdal. He served as the Mahamantri of U.P. Lokdal till 1989. In 1991, he joined Janata Dal and was appointed as the General Secretary of the party. Swami Prasad Maurya resigned from Janata Dal in 1996.
Bahujan Samaj Party
Swami Prasad Maurya joined the Bahujan Samaj Party on 2 January 1996, and he was appointed as the General Secretary and State Vice President of BSP in Uttar Pradesh. In the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly elections in 1996, Swami Prasad Maurya was elected as a Member of Legislative Assembly from the Dalmau constituency. Soon, he was appointed as the Cabinet Minister in the Bahujan Samaj Party and Bhartiya Janta Party allied government in Uttar Pradesh from 27 March 1997 to 19 October 1997. During this period, he also held the portfolio of Khadi and Rural Industries. Swami Prasad Maurya served as the Leader of Opposition from 18 September 2001 to 17 October 2001. In the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly elections in 2002, Swami Prasad Maurya was elected as a Member of Legislative Assembly from the Dalmau constituency as a candidate of the Bahujan Samaj Party. Swami Prasad Maurya represented the BSP as the Leader of Legislative Council and the Cabinet Minister from 30 August 2003 to 7 September 2003. He was given the portfolio of Khadi and Rural Industries. In the General elections of 2007, Swami Prasad Maurya experienced a defeat from the opposition party; however, Mayawati became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh for the fourth time, and she appointed Swami Prasad Maurya as the Revenue Minister and the Leader of the Legislative Council on 29 June 2007. He was elevated to the position of National President of the Bahujan Samaj Party on 8 August 2008. In the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly elections in 2007, Swami Prasad Maurya was elected as a Member of Legislative Assembly from the Padrauna constituency as a candidate of the Bahujan Samaj Party. From 17 May 2007 to 30 May 2009, Swami Prasad Maurya was given the additional charge of the Cooperative Minister of Uttar Pradesh. From 15 November 2009 to 15 March 2012, he served as the Cabinet Minister, Panchayati Raj Minister, and Leader of Legislative Council. Swami Prasad Maurya was given the additional responsibility of the Department of Land Development and Water Resources and Dr Ambedkar Rural Entire Development Department of Uttar Pradesh on 8 April 2011. In the general elections of 2012, Swami Prasad Maurya was elected as a Member of the Legislative Assembly from the Padrauna constituency as a candidate of the Bahujan Samaj Party in which he was designated as the Leader of Opposition in the Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly on 16 March 2012. He quit the Bahujan Samaj Party on 22 June 2016 and claimed that BSP demands money for election tickets. The BSP head Mayawati dined all the allegations of Maurya in a press conference and stated that the party was about to expel Maurya from the party as he was trying to impose dynastic politics within the BSP and Mayawati also thanked Swami Prasad Maurya for leaving her party on his own.
Bharatiya Janta Party
In 2017, Swami Prasad Maurya joined the Bharatiya Janta Party and was elected as a Member of the Legislative Assembly from the Padrauna constituency of Uttar Pradesh as a candidate of Bharatiya Janta Party. As a Cabinet Minister, he was given the portfolio of Labour and Employment exchanges, Urban employment and Poverty alleviation of Uttar Pradesh. After the expansion of the Yogi Adityanath Ministry, Maurya was appointed as the Minister of Labour, Employment, and Co-ordination on 21 August 2019. Swami Prasad Maurya quit the Bharatiya Janta Party on 11 January 2022.
On 14 January 2022, Maurya joined the Samajwadi Party in the presence of its National President Akhilesh Yadav in Lucknow; the joining came ahead of the 2022 Uttar Pradesh Legislative Assembly elections.
- Cash: Rs 60,000
- Deposits in Banks: Rs 16,70,242
- Other assets: Rs 30,000
- Agricultural Land: Rs 11,00,000
- Non Agricultural Land: Rs 10,00,000
- Residential Buildings: Rs 35,00,000
- Others: Rs 36,20,500
As of 2012, his net worth was Rs. 36, 50, 500.
- In 2016, Swami Prasad Maurya changed his religion from Hinduism to Buddhism. He follows Dr B. R. Amedkar.
- Swami Prasad Maurya founded the Loktantrik Bahujan Manch in July 2016 at Lucknow’s Ramabai Ambedkar Rally Ground.
- The daughter of Swami Prasad Maurya, Sanghmitra Maurya, was elected as a Member Parliament from the Budaun constituency of Uttar Pradesh as a candidate of the Bharatiya Janata Party in 2019.
- On 11 January 2022, soon after resigning from the Bharatiya Janata Party, Maurya stated in a press conference that BJP was not offering him a ticket for the 2022 Legislative Assembly elections that was why he opted to quit the party. Swami Prasad Maurya also added that all the sections of the society in Uttar Pradesh were unfairly treated by BJP. The chief of Samajwadi Party Akhilesh Yadav congratulated Maurya soon after his exit from BJP and tweeted his photograph with him and confirming that Maurya was joining the Samajwadi Party. On Twitter Akhilesh Yadav wrote,
Warm welcome and greetings to the popular leader Swami Prasad Maurya ji and other leaders and workers in the party who fought for social justice and equality. There will be a revolution for social justice, there will be change in 2022.”
Swami Prasad Maurya stated in an interview with a media house that BJP would shake like an earthquake on his exit. He stated,
My move has caused a bhuchaal (earthquake) in the BJP. I have only quit as a minister. I will be joining the Samajwadi Party on January 14. I have not received calls from any small or big politician.”
- Swami Prasad Maurya is a yoga enthusiast. He regularly does yoga to keep himself physically and mentally strong.
- On 12 January 2022, the son of Swami Prasad Maurya, Utkarsh Maurya, clarified in a press conference soon after his father’s exit from BJP that his father was not asking for election tickets for Utkarsh and his sister. Utkarsh also added that his father resigned from BJP according to his own will. He said,
Even today, there is no such issue that my father wants a ticket for me or my sister. My father and the party will decide if I have to contest the election or they want me as a party worker for the upcoming Assembly polls.”
- More than 44k people follow Swami Prasad Maurya on Twitter. He often tweets the major happenings of his political party on Twitter.
- When Swami Prasad Maurya was a member of the Bahujan Samajwadi Party, he was often noticed bowing and touching the feet of Mayawati, who is the chief of BSP, during the party campaigns and rallies and oaths taking ceremonies.
- Soon after resigning from the BJP in January 2022, Maurya was issued a legal notice and arrest warrant for appearing in court. In 2014, Swami Prasad Maurya gave a statement that hurt the religious sentiments of the Indians. He was also charged for giving such a statement by the Uttar Pradesh police. In the statement, Swami Prasad Maurya said,
Gauri-Ganesh should not be worshiped in marriages. This is a conspiracy to mislead Dalits and backwards in the Manuwadi system and make them slaves.”