Tanya Puravankara, popularly known as Tanya Hope is an Indian actress and model who is known for predominantly working in Kannada, Telugu and Tamil films. She started her career as a model and became the winner of Miss India Kolkata 2015. She participated in FBB Femina Miss India 2015 and became one of the finalists. In 2016, she debuted in the Telugu action film ‘Appatlo Okadundevadu’ as a lead actress.
Tanya was born on Sunday, 11 September 1996 (age 25 years; as of 2022) in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. She grew up in Bangalore, where she did her schooling. She completed her schooling at Sacred Heart Girls High School in Bangalore. For higher studies, she went to London, where she did her graduation in international relations at the University of Westminster, England. When she came back to India after completing her graduation from England in 2014, she was still figuring out what she wanted to do in her life then someone recommended her to participate in a beauty pageant contest. So, she decided to join modelling training in Pune at The Tiara Training Studios and she took it seriously and trained hard for it. In 2015, she has crowned Miss India Kolkata, and she entered the Telugu film industry in 2016.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 58 kg
Hair Colour: Dark brown
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): 34 – 26 – 34
Tanya Hope belongs to a Hindu family from Bangalore, Karnataka.
Parents & Siblings
Her father, Ravi Puravankara is a businessman. She has one sister and one brother. Her sister’s name is Amanda Puravankara and her brother’s name is Ashish Puravankara.
Tanya is very passionate about her work, she loves modelling and acting. After debuting in 2016, she never looked back. In another Telugu movie Patel S. I. R. released in 2017, she played the character of ACP Catherine. Expanding her area of work and gaining more experience, she moved on to work in Tamil and Kannada films. She made her debut in the Tamil film industry with ‘Thadam’ directed by Magizh Thirumeni, which was released in 2019, and in the same year, she debuted in the Kannada film ‘Yajamana’ starring Darshan and Rashmika Mandanna. She became more famous and started getting several film offers. In the same year in which she debuted in Tamil and Kannada movies, she worked in two more Kannada movies, first one is ‘Udgharsha’ which was a suspense action thriller directed by Sunil Kumar Desai and the second one was a romantic action film ‘Amar’ which was directed by Nagashekar. Some of her other movies are ‘Khaki’, ‘Dharala Prabhu’, and ‘Idhe Maa Katha.’
Tanya says, “I am really happy to have this kind of work in the early stages of my career.” In 2022, some of her movies that are about to be released are ‘Vallaan’, ‘Golmaal’, and ‘Kulasaami.’ She is very experimenting and creative with her profession, she wants to play roles that are out of her comfort zone. In an interview, she stated that “I chose my movies and characters where I want it to be a performance and I want to see myself what I can do and how I can be as an actor and I want to show everybody, like, what I can do, and I didn’t want to keep doing the homely girl role. I have done it once and I really enjoyed it, but this time I wanted to challenge myself, I wanted to do some very powerful women role. I didn’t think I could do it.”
Awards & Nominations
- Nominated in South Indian International Movie Awards for Best Supporting Actress in ‘Yajamana’ (2019)
- Nominated in South Indian International Movie Awards for Best Female Debut – Tamil in ‘Thadam’ (2019)
- Won Dadasaheb Phalke Award for Best Actress in ‘Yajamana’ (2020)
- Food: Butter Chicken, Chicken Biryani
- Actors: Leonardo Dicaprio, George Clooney
- Actress: Rashmika Mandanna
- Book: Cotillion
- Author: Georgette Heyer
- Movie: Great Gatsby, Mary Kom
- Place: London
- Colour: Purple
- Hobby: Dancing, Sketching, Listening to music, movies
- Zodiac sign: Pisces
- Quote: “Challenges make life interesting and overcoming them makes life meaningful.”
- According to Tanya, there are three qualities that every woman should possess, self-respect, self-worth, and strength to stand up for herself.
- Qualities that she looks for in a man are the ability to be himself entirely and unapologetically, the ability to stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone, and honesty.
- She wants to open her own educational Institute for those who do not have any access or opportunity to go to one.
- Tanya wants to go on a vacation with actor Hrithik Roshan because she thinks it would be an adventurous and fun trip.
- When asked in an interview, which rule she would like to break, she replied, “I don’t know if I’d like to break any laws. But I’d definitely like to get rid of the death sentence.”
- She wants to play the character of the lead superhero if she gets a chance to work in a superhero movie.
- Her nickname at home is Donny and in college, she was called Tinky.
- She wants to be friends with actress Sonam Kapoor because she thinks that Sonam is such a fashion icon, she can definitely teach Tanya some things about fashion.
- In college, she skipped an examination just because she was not prepared for it.
- If she got a chance to meet someone from the past or someone who is dead she would want to meet Hitler and ask him, “What were you thinking?”
- She says that her sister is her biggest critic.
- Tanya wants to work in lots of movies in every language and become a politician later on.
- Some day, if God appears in front of her she wants to ask him, “Is there a plan for us or are we just meant to figure things out?”
- In an interview, when she was asked about having a chance to save the world the first thing she would remove is misogyny.
- She would buy herself a world tour if she gets a blank cheque to buy something.
- A few of the things that are on her bucket list are Bungee jumping, sky diving and becoming a politician.
- Tanya has 360k followers on Instagram, 1.3m followers on Facebook, and 17.5k followers on Twitter.