Vinod Kapri is an Indian journalist, film director, writer, and producer. He is known for directing the 2015 Hindi film ‘Miss Tanakpur Haazir Ho.’
Vinod Kapri was born on Sunday, 15 August 1971 (age 50 years; as of 2021) in Military Hospital, Secunderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India. His hometown is in Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand. His zodiac sign is Leo.
He did his schooling at KVS JRC Bareilly, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh. He pursued his graduation from Bareilly College, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh.
While he was in class 9, he started writing short stories.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
His father, D.S. Kapari, is a retired army personnel. His mother’s name is Bhagirathi. He has two siblings.
Wife & Children
In 2009, he got married to the Indian journalist Sakshi Joshi. The couple has two sons named Aaryaman Kapri and Ahaan Kapari.
Vinod Kapri follows Hinduism.
At the age of 16, he penned down a story for the Indian newspaper Amar Ujala and received a money order worth Rs. 15 for it. Later, some of his stories were published in various leading Indian newspapers such as Dainik Jagran, Dainik Hindustan, and Dainik Aaj. While he was in school, one of his novels was published in a weekly series. He launched ‘Indian Econo Patrika,’ a monthly magazine, at the age of 19. He wrote a book titled ‘1232 KMS’ in 2021 which is available in various languages like Hindi, Tamil, Kannada, and Telugu.
At the age of 20, he started working as a journalist with the Hindi daily Jansandesh. He started working as a trainee at Dainik Jagran in 1992 and worked there for almost four months. He then started working as a reporter at Amar Ujala. After joining Zee News in 1995 as a trainee reporter, the Indian editor Rajat Sharma asked him to cover a story on the UPA government. Within a short span, he became a well-established Indian political reporter. While he was working with the Zee News, he also worked as Bureau Chief in Uttar Pradesh. He has hosted many Hindi news shows as a news reporter including News top 10, Hindustan Hamara, Crime Reporter, Kaun Hai, Top 20 reporter, Superfast 200, and Nonstop Superfast. Kapri hosted a live TV show on Aarif and Gudiya (a Muslim couple; in 2004).
He worked as a producer and anchor for the weekly news show ‘Ek Aur Nazariya’ which was aired on Zee India TV in 1998. For the show, he worked on documentaries on the Dalai Lama, homosexuals, euthanasia, Doms of Benares, Mahakumbh of Allahabad. During his tenure there, he also worked on the documentary of Aghori Sadhu of Haridwar, and according to the media sources, it was the first documentary on Aghori Sadhu which was telecasted on television. He worked as a producer for Zee News morning show ‘Morning Zee’ from 1999 to 2001. He was promoted as the output editor in 2002 at Zee News. After almost two years, he quit his job at Zee News and joined Star News as an executive producer. After working there for almost three years, he started working as a managing director at India TV. Vinod has produced a few Hindi documentaries like the 13 December Parliament Attack, the 26/11 Mumbai Terror Attack, and The Life of Anna Hazare.
He debuted as a filmmaker with the Indian documentary film ‘Can’t Take This Shit Anymore.’ The film was based on the issues of defection in the open.
Vinod made his Bollywood debut as a filmmaker in the 2015 Hindi film ‘Miss Tanakpur Haazir Ho.’ The film received great appreciation from the critics. During an interview, while talking about the reaction of various Indian celebrities to the film, he said,
It feels good when such big celebrities, who are in the industry for so many years, appreciate your work. There was a time when I was in doubt about the film’s release, but Hirani sahab and Anurag Kashyap helped me a lot. They watched my film and showed confidence in it. They were of the view that my work will be recognised.”
He started a film production named after his mother ‘Bhagirathi Films’ in 2015. His award-winning Indian film ‘Pihu’ was released in 2018. The film received acclamations at various film festivals like Vancouver International Film Festival, Palm Springs International Film Festival (California), Fajr International Film Festival (Tehran), and Indian Film festival (Stuttgart). In 2021, he released a Hindi documentary ‘1232 KMS’ based on the seven labourers who migrated during the Covid-19 lockdown in India.
In 2015, a fatwa was issued by the Khap Panchayat in Muzaffarpur post the release of the Hindi film ‘Miss Tanakpur Haazir Ho.’ (in the same year) Later, the Indian farmer’s leader Rakesh Tikait demanded to ban the screening of the film.
2015: Best Film on Social Issues at the 62nd National Film Awards for the film Can’t Take This Shit Anymore
- In childhood, he studied in schools at different locations such as Kendriya Vidyalaya in Andhra Pradesh, Secunderabad, Jammu and Kashmir, Udhampur, Siliguri in West Bengal, and Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh, due to the transferable job of his father.
- He has shared various critical posts for Prime Minister Narendra Modi on various social media platforms. In one of his posts on 15 March 2022, he wrote that he wanted to make a film ‘Gujarat Files,’ and asked Narendra Modi if he could assure that the film would release without any hindrances.
- In 2022, Vinod recorded a video of a 19-year-old boy named Pradeep Mehra from Almora, Uttarakhand, who was seen running on the streets after returning from his work at McDonald’s. He shared the video on 21 March 2022, and within a few hours, the video went viral on social media. In the video, Kapri asked the boy the reason for his running, to which the boy replied that he wanted to join the Indian Army, and the 10 km-long run was a part of his daily practice.
This is PURE GOLD❤️❤️
नोएडा की सड़क पर कल रात 12 बजे मुझे ये लड़का कंधे पर बैग टांगें बहुत तेज़ दौड़ता नज़र आया
किसी परेशानी में होगा , लिफ़्ट देनी चाहिए
बार बार लिफ़्ट का ऑफ़र किया पर इसने मना कर दिया
वजह सुनेंगे तो आपको इस बच्चे से प्यार हो जाएगा ❤️😊 pic.twitter.com/kjBcLS5CQu
— Vinod Kapri (@vinodkapri) March 20, 2022
- Vinod follows a daily fitness regime. He has also participated in various marathons.
- Vinod Kapri loves to eat non-vegetarian food.
- He is often spotted drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes.
- Kapri is a dog lover and has shared various pictures with his pet dog on his social media accounts.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings