Vrushali Chavan is an Indian dancer, choreographer, actor and dance director. She is known for working in the 2013 dance & music film, ‘ABCD: Any Body Can Dance’ directed by Indian Choreographer, Remo D’Souza. In the film, Vrushali Chavan had a guest appearance as Vrushali. She is a famous choreographer and mentor in Bollywood. She has choreographed dance numbers for prominent actors in Bollywood including Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Deepika Padukone, Ajay Devgn and many more.
Vrushali was born on Sunday, 15 January 1984 (age 38 years; as of 2022) in Mumbai. Her zodiac sign is Capricorn. She got admission to M. A. High School in Andheri West, Mumbai. She was a very studious kid in school. So, to decrease the academic pressure, her parents decided to make her join a dance class. They changed her school because it was very far away and there was no time left to attend dance classes. She learned multiple dance forms from Nalanda Nrityakala Mahavidyalaya in Mumbai. She completed her high school at St. Blaise High School in Andheri West, Mumbai which was close to her house. Her parents were very supportive of her making a career in dancing. She went on to pursue her Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts for five years from Cosmopolitan College in Mumbai.
Height (approx.): 5′ 3”
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Vrushali belongs to a Marathi family in Mumbai.
Parents & Siblings
Her father’s name is Pandurang Chavan, who is a pyrotechnician and her mother’s name is Madhuri Chavan. She has a younger brother whose name is Prasen Chavan.
Vrushali says that she didn’t choose dancing, dancing chose her. When auditions for ‘Dance India Dance’ opened, her brother, Prasen filled out the online audition form for her and insisted her to go to the auditions and perform any song. In 2009, Vrushali auditioned for the first season of the dance TV show ‘Dance India Dance’ (DID), in which she got selected and became a part of Terence Lewis’s team who is a choreographer and was one of the judges on the show. She became famous for being a participant in the show and after that, she never looked back.
After being a contestant on the show, she got the opportunity to choreograph dance acts in many reality dance shows. She started her career as a choreographer in the show ‘Dance India Dance: Li’l Masters in 2010. Farah Khan, who is an Indian filmmaker and choreographer, was a judge on the show and asked Vrushali to be her assistant after seeing her performance with the famous Bollywood choreographer, Geeta Kapur. The first song that she choreographed as an assistant was ‘Fevicol Se’ from the 2012 film ‘Dabangg 2.’ In 2010, she worked in the reality dance show ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa’ season 4 in which she worked as a choreographer for actor Dayanand Shetty. Later in 2015, she mentored in ‘Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa’ season 8 in which her partner was Ashish Chaudhary, who is an actor. She is known for her choreography in many famous Bollywood films including ‘Chennai Express’ (2013), ‘Happy New Year’ (2014), ‘Bajirao Mastani’ (2015) and more.
She debuted as an actress in the film ‘ABCD: Any Body Can Dance’ in which many dancers/contestants from DID were cast along with Indian choreographers Prabhu Deva and Ganesh Acharya. She has worked in the 2011 Indian comedy sitcom ‘Best of Luck Nikki’ in which she played the character of Preeti Piyush Prasad Pandey. In 2018, she was cast in the lead role alongside Ishtiyak Khan in the short drama film ‘Prem Gajra Ani Chilli Chicken’ directed by Sharad Malhotra; she played the character of Ishtiyak Khan’s wife, Indu. In 2019, she acted in the short film ‘Pablo’ in which she played the role of a 7-year-old boy’s mother. She played the role of a supporting character Veena Shankar in the 2021 Marathi suspense thriller web series ‘Anuradha.’
- Vrushali was only five years old when she joined the dance classes to learn Bharatnatyam. She learned Bharatnatyam till she was in seventh grade.
- She says that the biggest turning point in her life was taking part in ‘Dance India Dance.’ She never imagined that she would make her career in dancing.
- About one year before auditioning in ‘Dance India Dance,’ she participated in an Indian television dance show called ‘Boogie Woogie’ but did not get selected.
- She had the opportunity to be the judge in the regional reality shows, Nachale Bindhani and Khallas Dance Ekach Chance.
- She has choreographed songs in some Marathi films such as 31 Divas, Wada, Cheater, Ti Sadhya Kay Karte, Autograph, Shikari, and Shutter.
- In Jio Filmfare Awards (Marathi) 2018, Vrushali Chavan was nominated for the award for Best Choreography for the song ‘Parikatha’ from the Marathi film, ‘Ti Saddhya Kay Karte.’
- She has 14.8k followers on Instagram.
- She holds workshops on theatre, acting and dancing.
- In 2020, she did Instagram Live chats named ‘Gupshup With Vee’ with many actors, actresses, life coaches and dancers including Sharad Kelkar, Himanshu Ashok Malhotra, Amruta Khanvilkar, Terence Lewis, Uma Rele and many more.
- In an interview, she shared that soon she is going to open her own dance academy as many people during the pandemic were asking her when is she going to start taking dance classes.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings