Boria Majumdar is an Indian sports journalist, author and academician. He is well-known for his in-depth knowledge of Indian cricket. He came to the public’s attention after bullying the Indian wicket-keeper, Wriddhiman Saha, over social media.
Boria Majumdar was born on Monday, 8 March 1976 (age 46 years; as of 2022) in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. Boria Majumdar completed his schooling at The Frank Anthony Public School, Kolkata. In 1997, he earned his Bachelor’s degree in the field of History, from the Presidency College, University of Calcutta. In 1999, from the same college, Boria completed his post-graduation in Modern History. In 2000, he was awarded a scholarship through Rhodes Scholar and was then admitted to St John’s College, Oxford University, where he completed his Doctorate of Philosophy (DPhil) in Social History of Indian Cricket in 2004.
Boria Majumdar belongs to a Bengali family.
Parents & Siblings
Not much information is available about his parents’ names or professions.
He has a sister named Rochona Majumdar.
Wife & Children
His wife’s name is Sharmistha Gooptu, and she writes about Indian cinema’s history. The couple got married on 20 December 2004.
He has a daughter named Aisha Gooptu Majumdar. She was born in 2014.
He follows Hinduism.
He resides at 203/1, Bidhan Sarani, Kolkata, West Bengal – 700006.
An established academician
Boria Majumdar completed his DPhil in 2004. His thesis titled, Twenty-Two Yards to Freedom: A Social History of Indian Cricket, was nominated and published in the Oxford monographs series. In the same year, his thesis was published in India as well. After completing his Doctorate, Boria, for some time, worked as a visiting professor at La Trobe University in Melbourne, Australia. Since 2003, Boria Majumdar has been working as a lecturer at the University of Chicago, United States of America. Boria, in 2019, was selected as a senior fellow researcher in the School of Sport and Wellbeing at the University of Central Lancashire, England.
A well-known author
Boria Majumdar is a well-known author, who has published many books, based on sports. In 2014, Boria co-authored Sachin’s autobiography titled, Playing It My Way. The book’s name has been registered with the Limca Book of Records, for having the most sales, on the first day of its launch.
Boria published his second book titled, Eleven Gods and a Billion Indians: The On and Off the Field Story of Cricket in India and Beyond. The book was published in 2018. During the launch of the book, several well-known cricketers, such as Virat Kohli and Saurav Ganguly, were present.
Boria Majumdar, in April 2020, authored and published another book titled, 1971: The Beginning of India’s Cricketing Greatness.
In the same year, Boria published another book named, Dreams of a Billion: India and the Olympic Games.
A respected sports journalist
Boria Majumdar is a renowned sports journalist. Not only is he well-known in India, but outside of India as well. Boria, throughout his career, has interviewed many famous sports personalities, such as Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Sunil Gavaskar, Jhulan Goswami and Saurav Ganguly.
Boria, in 2019, hosted the South Asian Diaspora Convention in Singapore, where he interviewed Rahul Dravid and Harbhajan Singh.
In 2020, he participated in the Jaipur Literature Fest, where he interviewed Deepa Malik, an Indian Paralympics champion.
In 2020, Boria hosted India Today’s sports series titled, Inspiration. In the series, he interviewed, Virat Kohli, Hardik Pandya, Sania Mirza, and Sachin Tendulkar.
In 2021, he hosted a talk show titled, Babumoshai, on which the invited panel discussed a wide variety of topics while having their food.
In 2022 Boria Majumdar was found guilty by a panel established by the BCCI, for threatening the Indian wicketkeeper, Wriddhiman Saha. Boria Majumdar has been banned by the BCCI for two years.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- In 2020, Boria Majumdar won an award, under the Best English Anchor category by ENBA.
- In 2021, Boria Majumdar won a Gold Award by ENBA for his talk show, Backstage With Boria, in the Best English Talk Show category.
- In 2022, Boria Majumdar won a Bronze Award by ENBA for his talk show, Backstage With Boria, in the Best English Talk Show category.
- Boria Majumdar, in 2021, covered the Tokyo Olympics 2020 from Japan. He also covered the Tokyo Paralympics from Japan.
- Boria Majumdar hosts a talk show titled, Boria Speaks. The show is a well-known sports show.
- Boria Majumdar, in 2021, founded another company named, Cristorian Sports.
- Boria Majumdar has also worked as a Consultant with Sports4life, from November 2021 to December 2021.
- Boria Majumdar advocates practising Yoga every day. He has taught his daughter, Aisa, Yoga as well.
- Boria Majumdar is an avid animal lover. He has a pet dog named Kalu.
- As a sports journalist, Boria Majumdar often writes in the sports column for several Bengali newspapers.
- In 2021, Boria Majumdar has also founded the famous sports journalism organisation called, RevSportz.
- In 2022, Boria Majumdar was a part of a Bengali show titled, Ektu Khawa Ektu Khela. The show focuses on sports and food.
- Owing to the immense knowledge that Boria Majumdar possesses; he has been called for commentary in several cricket matches as well.
- Boria Majumdar also likes to cook sometimes.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings