Simran Bagga is an Indian actress, who predominantly works in South Indian movies. She has worked in more than 150 South Indian movies.
Simran Rishi Bagga was born on Sunday, 4 April 1976 (age 45 years; as of 2021) in Mumbai. Her zodiac sign is Aries. She completed her schooling at St. Anthony’s high school, Mumbai and Children Welfare Centre, Mumbai.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Weight (approx.): 50 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): 36–24–36
Parents & Siblings
Simran`s father`s name is Ashok Naval and her mother`s name is Sharda Naval.
She has three siblings. The name of her brother is Sumeet Naval, and the name of her sisters is Radhamonal Naval (actress) and Jyothi Anand.
Husband & Children
Simran got married to Deepak Bagga (actor) on 2 December 2003.
She gave birth to two sons Adheep Odo on 11 June 2005 and Aadit Veer on 16 March 2011.
Simran started her acting career in 1995 with the Hindi movie ‘Sanam Harjai’ as Tinu.
She appeared in other Hindi movies ‘Gunda Gardi’ (1997), ‘Anari No.1’ (1999), ‘Aakheer’ (2002), and many more.
She made her debut in Malayalam movies with the film ‘Indraprastham’ as Chitra Narayan in 1996.
In 2007, she appeared in the Malayalam movie ‘Heart Beats.’
In Telugu industry, she made her acting debut with the film ‘Abbai Gari Pelli’ as Madhumitha in 1997.
She featured in other Telugu movies that include ‘Yuvaraju’ (2000), ‘Bava Nachadu’ (2001), and many more.
She marked her Kannada debut with the movie ‘Simhada Mari’ as Usha in 1997.
She appeared another Kannada movie ‘Alone’ in 2016. In 1997, she also made her Tamil film debut with the movie ‘Once More’ as Kavitha.
She did other Tamil films that include ‘Natpukkaga’ (1998), ‘Kannupada Poguthaiya’ (1999), ‘Aaha Kalyanam’ (2014), and many more. After a gap of few years, she came back to the industry with the Tamil film ‘Okka Magadu’ in 2008.
In 2020-21, she appeared in the Tamil films ‘Andhagan,’ ‘Rocketry: Nambi Vilaivu,’ ‘Sardar.’
Simran made her television debut in 1995 with the Hindi show ‘Superhit Muqabla’ as a host on Doordarshan.
In 2008, she appeared in the Tamil shows ‘Simran Thirai’ on Jaya TV and ‘Agni Paravai Madhavi’ in 2013 on Puthuyugam TV. She also featured in the Telugu show ‘Sundarakanda’ on Gemini TV in 2010.
In 2013, she produced a show ‘Dance Tamizha Dance’ for the channel Zee Tamil.
She appeared in the Hindi music video “Mein Aur Meri Khwaishei,” released on YouTube under her production company, ‘Simran And Sons.’
Simran also featured in a web series ‘Paava Kadhaigal’ as Madhi in 2020.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- In 1997, Simran won the Best Newface Actress for the Tamil movies Nerrukku Ner, Once More and V.I.P. at Dinakaran Film Awards and Best Female Debut for Tamil films Nerrukku Ner, Once More and V.I.P. at Filmfare Awards South.
- In 1999, she won Best Tamil Actress in Leading Role for the Tamil movie Vaali at Cinema Express Awards, Best Tamil Actress in Leading Role for the Tamil movies Thulladha Manamum Thullum and Vaali at Dinakaran Film Awards and Best Actress in Leading Role for the Tamil film Thulladha Manamum Thullum at Tamil Nadu State Film Awards.
- In 2000, she won the Best Actress in Leading Role for the Telugu movie Kalisundam Raa and Tamil movie Priyamanavale at Film Fan’s Association Awards.
- In 2002, she won the Best Tamil Actress in Leading Role for the Tamil movie Kannathil Muthamittal at Cinema Express Awards, Best Actress for the Tamil film Kannathil Muthamittal at Filmfare Awards South and Best Actress in Leading Role for the Tamil movie Kannathil Muthamittal at International Tamil Film Awards.
- In 2003, she won the award for Contribution to Tamil film industry at Kalaimamani Awards.
- In 2008, she won the Best supporting Actress for the Tamil film Vaaranam Aayiram at Film Fan’s Association Awards, Best Supporting Actress for the Tamil film Vaaranam Aayiram at Filmfare Awards South and Best Actress in Supporting Role for the Tamil television show Vaaranam Aayiram at Vijay Awards.
- In 2018, she won the Woman Icon of Inspiration Award at the Behindwoods Gold Medals Awards.
- In 2019, she won the Award for Excellence in Tamil Cinema at the Just for Women Movie Awards.
- In 2020, she won Best Actress for the web series Paava Kadhaigal at Just for Women Movie Awards.
- Simran`s hobbies include travelling, cooking and dancing.
- She has got one tattoo inked on her left arm and one on the left side of her chest.
- After Simran made a comeback in the industry, she was often asked about her featuring in a film at the age of 40 and after having two kids. In an interview, she said,
Being a wife or a mother or 40 should not be the criteria for a heroine to get a role. I am very proud to be a wife and mother. It is an essential part of being a woman as far as I’m concerned, but these roles must not define my professional decisions. Of course, I have major responsibilities beyond my profession now. But it becomes easier to balance one’s personal responsibilities with one’s profession when you have a supportive family.”
- In 2004, Simran participated in the Athens Olympic Torch Relay in New Delhi as a participant from India.
- In 2015, Simran and her husband Deepak started a multi cuisine restaurant named “Godka.”
- Simran has featured in many commercials for brands like Fanta, Jeeva soap, Kurkure, Sugar Free Gold.
- In 2015, Simran started her own production company named ‘Simran And Sons.’ In an interview, she was asked about the name of the company, she said,
Both the name and the idea are the brainchild of my husband Deepak Bagga. He wanted my name highlighted and also my sons to be represented in the brand. As a production house, we want to start with two projects. With 19 years of experience in the film industry, I feel it is time for me to use what I’ve learned. I thought I should start with production. Moving forward, I want to get into direction as well.”
- In an interview, she talked about predominantly working in Tamil films, she said,
Tamil is my favourite industry and I feel most comfortable here. When I shoot in other states, I prefer to stay in hotels. But I decided to buy a home in Chennai as I consider this home. In that sense, I’m closest to the Tamil language and culture. I’m a 100 per cent Tamil girl. So I didn’t even consider another industry for my production house.”
- She is an compassionate dog lover and often posts pictures on Instagram.
- Simran works out regularly and posts videos of working out on Instagram.
- She has also featured in various newspapers and magazines.