Varun Alagh is an Indian entrepreneur. He is the founder, chief dad, and get stuff done officer of Honasa Consumer Pvt. Ltd., a company that owns internet-first personal care brand Mamaearth. Varun is the husband of the Indian entrepreneur Ghazal Alagh.
Varun Alagh was born in 1984 (age 38 years; as of 2022) in Gurgaon, Haryana. He attended Delhi College of Engineering from 2001 to 2005 to pursue B.E. in Electrical. Thereafter, he enrolled himself at XLRI Jamshedpur to pursue a PGDBM in Finance & Marketing (2005-2007). While pursuing his post-graduation, Varun got a chance to work with companies like Colgate Palmolive, Havells Electric, Madura Garments, Maruti, and Nokia as an intern.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Dark Brown (Semi-bald)
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Parents & Siblings
Not much is known about his parents.
Wife & Children
Varun Alagh is married to Ghazal Alagh (an entrepreneur). The Couple has a son named Agastya. Their son was born with a skin disease.
Varun began his career as a Business Leadership Trainee at Hindustan Unilever Ltd. in 2007. After a year, he was promoted to the position of Area Sales Manager (Delhi NCR) in the company. In June 2010, Varun was promoted to the position of Area Sales & Customer Manager (Delhi NCR & Rajasthan). He managed a team of 37 persons delivering distribution of 55000 retail outlets across Delhi & Rajasthan. In March 2011, he was made the Regional Brand Manager Innovations South Asia – Deodorants. He resigned from the company in 2012. Varun then joined Diageo PLC, Mumbai, as a Sr. Brand Manager – Smirnoff. He worked there for around a year and subsequently resigned from the company. Alagh then joined Coca Cola, Gurgaon, as a Brand Manager in May 2013. After working there for around two years, Varun was promoted to the position of Senior Brand Manager in April 2015. As a Senior Brand Manager, Varun looked after the consumer marketing for Coca Cola products like Coke Classic, Coke Zero, and Diet Coke across India and South-West Asian countries (Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal). He resigned from the company in November 2016. Thereafter, Varun, along with his wife, Ghazal Alagh, founded Honasa Consumer Pvt. Ltd. in November 2016. The company launched its first brand ‘Mamaearth’ in 2016. Mamaearth provides its consumers with natural (chemical-free) baby care, hair care, and skincare products. Honasa’s second brand, The Derma Co, also deals in skin and hair care products. The company rolled out its third brand ‘Aqualogica,’ a skincare brand, in November 2021. As of 2022, he is the Chief Dad and Get Stuff Done Officer of Honasa Consumer Pvt. Ltd. The company has around 400 employees and is present in around 120 cities across India. Talking about it in an interview, Varun said,
We have a presence in 120 major cities of the country and at various e-commerce platforms like Amazon, Nykaa, Firstcry, apart from selling through our own website.”
The emergence of Business Idea
Varun Alagh’s and Ghazal’s son Agastya suffered from a skin-borne disease called eczema at his birth. Agastya’s skin was allergic to a number of products and turned red and itchy when exposed to certain products with chemicals. The doctors recommended them to use toxin-free baby care products available in the market for their son. It was difficult for the couple to find natural skincare products for their son as most of the baby care products in India contained toxins. As the couple didn’t want to compromise with their baby’s health, they often asked their relatives and friends travelling abroad to bring toxin-free products for their son. Fed-up with the hassle involved in arranging appropriate products for their child, Varun and Ghazal, came up with the idea of manufacturing toxin-free products for babies and adults themselves. They named their brand ‘Mamaearth.’ The company earned revenue of Rs. 22.19 lakh in the financial year 2017 and reached to Rs. 112 crore revenue in the financial year 2020. In 2021, its revenue was recorded to be Rs. 500 crore.
- Awarded I am Diageo Award by Diageo India for excellent execution of the Smirnoff Nightlife Activation Nationally (2013)
- Received Business Unit President Award by Coca-Cola India South West Asia for leading excellent ideation & execution in Coca-Cola Zero launch in India (2014)
- Awarded Above & Beyond Award by Coca-Cola India & Southwest Asia for going beyond the call of duty on an organization-wide project (2015)
- Honoured with Business Unit President Award by Coca-Cola India and South-West Asia for being a lead member in the MIT ICE project for turning around FBO business (2015)
- Dessert: Jalebi
- Beverage: Tea
- Food: Chole-Bhature
- Travel Destination: Switzerland
- Colour: Black
- Politician: Narendra Modi
- Business Person: Indra Nooyi
- Varun loves to travel and do adventure sports in his leisure time.
- Alagh is an avid reader and reads about two books a week.
- He follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- Varun is often spotted consuming alcohol on various occasions.
- Varun has penned various articles like 5 benefits of Starting Up on the wrong side of your 30’s, Positive Friction in Business, and Goldilocks and other golden rules of motivation, which have been published in many business magazines.
- He has been featured on the cover of Forbes India magazine.
- Varun is a dog lover. He has made special seats for dogs to rest outside his ‘Mamaearth’ store in Gurgaon.
- The brand ambassador of Mamaearth is Shilpa Shetty (as of 2022).
- During an interview, when Varun was asked about his go-to-market strategy for his brand The Derma Co., Varun replied,
For any new brand, our strategy will always be digital-first. We would like to initially tap D2C and then launch these products on marketplaces such as Nykaa and Amazon. Once the brand matures, we will take it to the offline channel. We are already seeing a good response for The Derma Co. and are quite confident that, by next year, it will cross Rs 100 crore in sales.”
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings