Kim Min-ha is a South Korean actress and model known for starring in the Apple TV+ series ‘Panchiko’ (2022).
Kim Min-ha was born on Friday, September 1, 1995 (age 26 years; as of 2021), in Seoul, South Korea. Her zodiac sign is Virgo. She did graduation in Theatre & Film from Hanyang University.
Height: 5′ 4.5″ (164 cm)
Eye Color: Brown
Hair Color: Black
Not much is known about her parents. She has an elder sister.
Agency: People Entertainment
When she was in college, she starred in many short movies, worked as a cosmetic model or lookbook model, and appeared in music videos. In 2016, she made her acting debut with the South Korean series ‘Two Girls Season 2’ as ‘Girl 2.’ The series aired on Naver TV.
Next, she appeared in the KBS2 drama ‘School 2017’ (2017) as ‘Yeo Seung-eun,’ a member of Young-gun’s group; Young-gun (played by South Korean actress Ha Seung-ri) is a school bully who later trains to become a police officer. The series was the seventh installment of the ‘School’ series that talks about issues faced by high school students.
In 2018, she was seen in the Kdrama ‘Partners for Justice’ as ‘Park Mi-young,’ a prosecutor at Kang Hyun’s (played by South Korean actor Park Eun-seok) office. In 2018, she made her film debut with the South Korean film ‘After Spring’ as ‘Hyeon-jeong.’
Min-ha has also appeared in South Korean films like Main Street (2020), Killer Swell: Our Space (2020), The Call (2020), and Homecoming (2020). In 2022, she starred in the American drama ‘Pachinko.’ She played the teenage version of the lead character ‘Kim Sunja’ in the series. Kim Sunja is a Korean woman from Busan, South Korea, fighting for a better life in Korea dominated by the Japanese. The series was produced in three languages- Korean, Japanese, and English, and it aired on Apple TV+. The series received positive reviews from critics and the audience.
- Film(s): The Big Blue (1988), Beauty and the Beast (1991), Finding Nemo (2003)
- Film Series: Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings
- Filmmaker(s): Quentin Tarantino, Darren Aronofsky
- Film Genre(s): Action, Fantasy, Psychological Fiction, Dream
- According to Kim, growing up, she was shy and shivered and sweated each time asked to give a presentation. However, while she was on the stage performing, she was different. When she sang on stage, she felt excited.
- In elementary school, she wanted to become a voice actor. This led her to pursue a degree in film and theater.
- Her parents wanted her to be a university professor, not an actor. After successfully persuading her parents for a year, she enrolled for a theater and film degree.
- As her parents wanted her to become a professor, she went to a music academy and also a voice acting academy without her parent’s knowledge. When she was 20 years old, she was an understudy (a backup lead who is supposed to replace the lead in their absence) in a play. To her luck, the lead in the play got injured, and she had to play the lead. While talking about the experience in an interview, she said,
I still remember the catharsis I felt then. I love standing in front of someone so much, emitting energy. Ever since I found out about it, I have dreamed of becoming an actor.”
- She has been on the pictorials for Harper’s Bazaar US, W Korea, Cine21, Vogue Korea, and The Hollywood Reporter.
- When she is not doing anything, she does Tai Chi or plays with lego.
- Since childhood, she’s been learning English and attended three or four English academies. She even took language training. She said that when she was young, it was difficult studying English, but it’s helping her now, and she’s grateful for that.
- In December 2011, she performed at the Sandfactory concert, where she sang ‘Best Friend, Right!’ by English singer and songwriter Amy Winehouse.
- After she graduated, she taught English to elementary school students. Even then, she did not leave acting. She taught them how to act in a play. Simultaneously, she kept on sharing her profile with people, watching plays and musicals, auditioning for roles, watching films, and traveling to nearby places for acting inspiration.
- When she was struggling to become an actor, she resorted to meditation. It took her three months to gain full concentration. She meditated every morning, which helped her clear her mind regarding things.
- In an interview, she was asked to describe herself. She said that she once wrote a diary in which she identified herself as a person who is like a mudflat. Mud is not solid or liquid; it can either become solid or get swept by ebbs and flows. She added that she thinks of herself as a flexible-strong person. She doesn’t know what she will be like in the future.
- According to her, her biggest source to play ‘Sunja’ in ‘Pachinko’ was her grandmother. Her grandmother lived in that era, so she had a lot of conversation about it, which helped her a lot.
- She has a pet dog named Moonk, who is an English Bulldog. Moonk even has his own Instagram handle, where she posts pictures of him and his friends regularly.
- She often drinks alcohol at parties and events.