Nitesh Tiwari is an Indian filmmaker and scriptwriter who works in the Indian entertainment industry. He ventured into the Indian cinema in 2011 as a co-director of the Hindi film Chillar Party. He went on to earn the National Film Award for Best Children’s Film ‘Chillar Party’ in the same year.
Nitesh Tiwari was born on Monday, 22 May 1972 (age 55 years; as of 2020) in Itarsi, Madhya Pradesh, India. His zodiac sign is Gemini. He completed his school education at Friends English Medium School, Itarsi, Madhya Pradesh and Bharat Mata Convent School, Behlot, Madhya Pradesh. In 1996, Nitesh Tiwari completed a Bachelor’s degree in Metallurgy and Material Science Engineering from IIT Bombay.
Hair Colour: Salt and Pepper
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Nitesh Tiwari’s father’s name is Dr B. D. Tiwari. He has a brother named Luna Tiwari and a sister.
Wife & Children
Nitesh Tiwari is married to Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari, a filmmaker and writer in the Indian entertainment industry. The couple has twin children. A son named Amaarisa Tiwari, and a daughter named Aaradhya Tiwari.
Nitesh Tiwari is in a relationship with Ashwiny Iyer before getting married to her.
Nitesh Tiwari lives at a quaint bungalow in Chembur, Eastern Mumbai.
Soon after finishing his college studies, Nitesh Tiwari started working as a creative director at Leo Burnett.
Later, Nitesh Tiwari left the corporate sector and ventured into Indian cinema in 2014 and directed a supernatural political drama film Bhoothnath Returns. In 2016, he directed and wrote the film Dangal starring Aamir Khan. Soon after the release of the film Dangal, it was screened at the Beijing International Film Festival in April 2017. In June 2017, Dangal was presented at the BRICS festival. During the same year, the film Dangal was considered the highest-grossing Indian film and the fifth highest-grossing non-English film. In 2019, a comedy film titled Chhichhore starring Sushant Singh Rajput and Shraddha Kapoor was directed by Nitesh Tiwari for which he was nominated for several awards and was acclaimed by critics. In 2018, Nitesh Tiwari and his wife, Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari, co-established a production house titled ‘The Earthsky Pictures’ and started directing and producing television advertisements under their banner. Later, Nitesh Tiwari directed a documentary based on the lives of the well-known tennis players Mahesh Bhupathi and Leander Paes. A young-adult comedy-drama “Bas Karo Aunty!” was announced to be released by Nitesh Tiwari and his wife in May 2022. It was also announced that Ishwak Singh and Mahima Makwana would be in the main roles. The composition of this film was based on Varun Agarwal’s bestselling book “How I Braved Anu Aunty and Co-Founded a Million Dollar Company.”
In 2016, he won the Best Director Award for the film Dangal at the 62nd Filmfare Awards in Melbourne, and in 2017, he was honoured with the Telstra People’s Choice Award for the film Dangal at the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne.
- In his leisure time, Nitesh Tiwari loves playing Cricket, Travelling to distant destinations, and watching films.
- According to Nitesh Tiwari, he worked as a software developer at an IT company soon after completing his studies at IIT Bombay. However, after four months, he left the job to work as a copywriter at FCB Ulka, which was hiring the IIT graduates only because there were two ex-IITians working as directors. In a media conversation, he narrated,
I wrote and directed plays for our dramatics society, as I was always inclined in that direction. Seeing an instant reaction from the audience to my work encouraged me to express creatively. After working for four months in a software company, I figured that before I got too complacent with the perks and salary, I should listen to my heart and give writing a shot. So I quit and began working as a copywriter at FCB Ulka, which hired an IIT graduate only because two ex-IITians were directors there and they liked my passion.”
- The family of Nitesh Tiwari belongs to a small town ‘Itarsi’ in Madhya Pradesh; however, he was brought up in the town called Ganj Basoda.
- During his school days, Nitesh Tiwari gained immense popularity in his school soon after he wrote and directed a small play titled “Tapori-Mughal-e-Azam” in a cultural event organised by his school.
- In a conversation with a media house, Nitesh Tiwari once revealed that when he came to Bombay to pursue his higher education, he never aspired to become a film director.
- Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari, the wife of Nitesh Tiwari, worked with him as his co-worker at Leo Burnett as a creative director.
- According to Nitesh Tiwari, the film Dangal, which was directed by him in 2016, proved to be his best-directed film.
- Nitesh Tiwari is followed by over 73k people on Instagram where he remains very active. He regularly posts his pictures and videos on various social media platforms. More than 5k people follow his Facebook page.
GIPHY App Key not set. Please check settings