Raj Bawa is an Indian cricketer who is known for breaking the record of Indian opener Shikhar Dhawan who scored 155 runs against Scotland in the 2004 tournament. On 23 January 2022, Raj made a record 162 runs which is the highest individual score by an Indian in the U19 World Cup at the Brian Lara Stadium in Trinidad and Tobago. He made a partnership with Angkrish Raghuvanshi who scored 144 runs.
Rajangad Bawa was born on Friday, 12 November 2004 (age 17 years; as of 2021) in Nahan, Himachal Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Scorpio. He did his schooling at DAV Public School, Chandigarh.
Height (approx.): 5′ 7″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 40 Inches, Waist: 30 Inches, Biceps: 14 Inches
Parents & Siblings
Raj’s father’s name is Sukhwinder Singh Bawa who is a Cricket coach and has trained many players including Yuvraj Singh and VRV Singh. His father was a hockey player and had played for Haryana junior team, and in 1988, he was also included in the India U-19 camp, but he suffered a slipped disc injury when he was 22, and he became a cricket coach. Raj Bawa has been coached by his father. In an interview, he talked about his father and said,
My father knew about my cricket. He somehow knew that fast bowling came naturally to me, so he wanted to focus on my batting. Initially, I was focused only on batting and started bowling off-spin.”
Raj’s grandfather’s name was Tarlochan Singh Bawa who was a hockey player and was in the Indian Hockey team that won the 1948 Olympic Games in the United Kingdom. In an interview, Raj talked about his grandfather and said,
I don’t have many fond memories of my grandfather because I was a kid when he died. But I have heard his stories from my grandmother and my father, which will stay with me forever.”
After representing Chandigarh at various domestic tournaments, Bawa played his first U-19 international match against Afghanistan on 27 December 2021 in Dubai. On 23 January 2022, Raj made headlines when he scored 162 runs on 108 balls in the Under-19 Men’s Cricket World Cup match against Uganda. His score became the highest individual score by an Indian batter in the U19 World Cup, and it also broke the record of the Indian opener Shikhar Dhawan who scored 155 runs against Scotland in the 2004 tournament. He also took four wickets against South Africa in the first match of the U-19 World Cup.
Cricketer: Yuvraj Singh
- Raj is left-handed batsman and left-arm fast-medium bowler. He bowls right-handed but bats left-handed.
- His jersey number is #12 (India). His jersey number is the same as Yuvraj Singh because he is a huge fan of Yuvraj. He had even changed his batting stance after noticing Yuvraj. In an interview, he talked about Yuvraj and said,
I picked up No 12 because of several reasons. My late grandfather’s birthday is on February 12. My idol Yuvraj also used to wear jersey No 12, as his birthday is on December 12. I celebrate my birthday on November 12.”
- His domestic team was Chandigarh.
- His hobbies include travelling and partying.
- When he was in school, he was more attracted towards dance and theatre. In an interview, he said that he started getting attracted towards cricket after he visited Dharamshala stadium with his father.
- When he was eleven, his father saw him bowling at the Tau Devi Lal Stadium in Gurugram. In that match, he took five wickets.
- The BCCI also tweeted about the partnership of Bawa and Angkrish Raghuvanshi in the U-19 Cricket World Cup.
All Over: Yet another comprehensive victory for India U19 as they beat Uganda U19 by a massive 326 runs in their final Group B game.
Nishant Sindhu takes 4/19. Earlier, Raj Bawa smashed 162 * & A Raghuvanshi scored 144 #BoysInBlue #U19CWC
Details ▶️ https://t.co/7xCHB938Wc pic.twitter.com/4K9UypsjOf
— BCCI (@BCCI) January 22, 2022